View Single Post
Old 07-13-11, 08:59 AM   #9
Osmium Steele
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

This is the kit.

The kit cost $28.00 and change with tax at Rider's Hobby Shop in Grand Rapids. Oh, how I love this place.

Edit: I should say first, that the kit is perfectly buildable right out of the box, and will give the builder a fine, though generic version of the type. It is a high quality kit, surprisingly so. /edit

The hull is surprisingly detailed for the scale, though the kit has the same flaws as the 1/72 scale. Various vents wrong shape/location, anchor well misplaced and too deep, Peri/Uzo bases quite basic, etc.

The rest of the parts are quite clean with almost no flashing except on the railings, which I won't be using anyway. The rails on the 1/72 kit are too thick, you can imagine how bad they are for the 1/144 version. I'll be building jigs to bend and solder wire for a new wintergarden and other rails.

I am having trouble finding photo-etched parts for this model, though I have found some for the standard VIIC, many of which should be appropriate. We'll see how that goes.

I'd be remiss if I didn't stop to thank Siara for his stickied thread on building his 1/72 scale model. It gave me the impetus to get to work on my own. Tips/tricks learned from reading his thread have already stood me in good stead on this project. Thank you, sir.

LINK TO MY BUILD PICS

My U297 build thread

Last edited by Osmium Steele; 07-14-11 at 11:37 AM.
Osmium Steele is offline   Reply With Quote