View Single Post
Old 06-25-11, 08:33 AM   #1625
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default U-boat Surrender (4)

I have determined the use of the 'Report Contacts' radio button in SH3.

If a single ship sends a radio message, the 'Report Contacts' button provides a direction and distance to the ship. The big problems with this button are these:
1. Single ships send radio reports rarely, except in the earliest days of the war.
2. The distances involved are too large to be of any use. In the North Sea in 1939, I was getting ranges of up to 600 miles. By the time you reach the point, the target has long moved, and you find yourself chasing the next nearest single ship in the oppositie direction - which has also moved by the time you arrive!

What is really exasperating is that pressing this button can result in one of two messages:
Either: No radio messages received. This is the code my Surrender mod is using.
Or: A direction and distance to a target, which uses some closely related code that is also used by the sonar-man! Evidently general purpose code to provide direction and distance to a target.

There is a way of filtering out the unwanted usage, but I'm not sure whether to continue with the existing code which will only work if no single ship nearby has signalled; or to apply a simple filter, which will result in the unwanted messages being shown as well as the 'Abandon U-boat' message. Hmmm.

SquareSteelBar - you have PM.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote