View Single Post
Old 03-31-11, 10:10 AM   #8
MRV
Frogman

Downloads: 88
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepine View Post
The problem is that those photos are from a river. Rivers and lakes have a lot of vegetation in them... and around them (which causes the underwater green colour). The atlantic ocean is another matter entirely.

The world's oceans do not ALL look dark and murky green below the surface so..... in that way, this mod is unrealistic. Sorry, dont mean to be harsh... but its just the truth.

Das Boot is an utterly fantastic film but its special effects are really dated and old now so im not sure that we should copy them too closely. (even though its impossible not to love the film)

Anyone else here who is a diver? As far as my experience goes the greenish look is realistic for some areas. What I would love to see is an underwater effects mod that changes between greenish murky water and clear blue and in between depending on the area you are and the weather.

I remember being on the southern coast of portugal, where washed out stuff from the coastal rocks caused visibility to be around 2 meters and greenish milky color just as seen in das Boot. It was not very different from what you see directly on a beach, dispite the fact that you are diving from a boat a bit away from the coast. I took no pics in on that dives because it was pointless.
Farther in the open of the atlantic, on the island of Madeira, you get 20 Meters of visibility, everything farther away is a blue wall, just a bit like visibility downtuned default SH. This is because its only an island surrounded by very deep water. (One mile off the coast you have 1000+ meters)

Ill try to post a few pictures here, but underwater the image of a camera is very different to what the human eye sees. Especially with my crappy small cam.

This is madeira water, close to the rocky coast off funchal at around 15 meters depth. As I said, the visibility differs from human eye reception. I remember being able to see much farther than on this photo. Note the greenish touch.

25 meters. A bit further off the coast on a boat dive.

As you can see, my expectations on underwater effects in SH5 are for obvious reasons a bit high.

Last edited by MRV; 03-31-11 at 10:28 AM.
MRV is offline   Reply With Quote