View Single Post
Old 02-27-11, 06:12 AM   #5
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
That makes me wonder about one thing (never did that myself).

Imagine you have Windows on a partition all by itself and npothign else there, maybe just some data in "Eigene Dateien", but usually you have kept all datafiles and applications on other partitions.

Then your windows messes up, and you decide to format drive c: and reinstall Windows, or you copy an image.

What about the software on the other drives? The original registration was on c: and thus got deleted, right? Gets the other software and needed hardware drivers recognised automatically and reenetred into the registry all by itself? What about manually done driver updates?

-----

I also have no experience with system restoration. In XP I used to had it switched off, becasue in the early XP days before and during SP1, it gave me nothing but troubles and bogged down system, I don'T know how often I had to reinstall the whole thing. I leanred to not trust system restoration.

But when I use it now, what does it actually do, physically? What kind of files and data gets set back, what data is kept? I never saw it working as advertised in those early XP years, so I really have no real clue what to expect of it and what not, all expreience I had were sauch that I learned it did not work back then. What happens with software that got installed after the system restore point that is being used for restoration?

-----

Finally, I know that Win7 includes an internal routine for creating volume images. How reliably does it work? Is it inferior or as good as a separate program like for example Acronis True Image? I mean for complete images of all partitions, no gimmick stuff?
This one?,
http://www.acronis.eu/promo/ATIH2011...6934&k=acronis true image

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote