View Single Post
Old 10-27-05, 06:44 AM   #3
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

I found this post from way back ..... relevant to the map thing ...

CBDR

Quote:
Gents,

Just an observation: In DC, the map, as shown in F2 CIC, does not accurately correspond to the DC world as described by the NOAA data. It is my experience that one can accurately place a unit by real world latitude and longitude co-ordinates and that DC will exactly place the unit in the virtual world.

As an example, I placed a DD in Pearl Harbor using Latitude and Longitude co-ordinates from a chart. DC faithfully placed my DD where specified. I then got underway and sailed down the channel out to sea. All the time I could see (in F3 view) that I was in the middle of the channel. However, the F2 view map showed me to be about 500 yards East of my actual position - sailing overland through Hospital Point! As I did not run aground and was able to exit the channel, I concluded that DC's "fix" is very inaccurate close to land. Perhaps this was intentional.

My advice is to place your units by latitude and longitude using the most accurate nautical chart you can get your hands on. DC accepts entries up to six decimal places, so you can locate your unit to within at least +/- 0.11 m at the Equator - more than close enough for government work!
Floater

Quote:
The screen maps in SH2/DC use a different data set to the collision detection, so you do get anomolies. The collision detection data is pretty accurate; it's the maps that are wrong.

I found this when writing Kriegstanz/KD, and, as Clive says, the data I use on screen for the high-res maps feature of KD is close to - maybe even exactly the same as - the collision detection data.

There's one of the major French ports in SH2 - I think it's Lorient, where you have to sail through land to get out. Mad!
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote