View Single Post
Old 01-25-11, 03:12 PM   #14
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Now we are getting somewhere. This seems simple enough. Here are my questions and a response to no. 3 above.

3. Response: Yes.
5. Is manual setting when you hit the button and TDC screen and it turns red (the light comes on!). Or are you in manual when the light is not lit?
9. Same question as no. 5. When is the tdc in auto postion. I am assuming the button the Attack Map sets the TDC in manual or auto position.
10. Response: Yes. What to "NB" mean?

All in all, a good explanation. Thanks.

Once I get this down, if I want to attack at an angle other than a 90 degree AoB, I will post a question on how to do it if it doesn't dawn on me. Basically, here are my concerns in such a scenario.

Are there range issues I must consider in a manual attack that is not 90 degrees. There is a range dial on the Attack Map. Is it as simple as using the dial, or is there a stadimeter measurement involved, and if so, where is that tool and how does one operate it?
for manual/auto, tbh i forget which colour is which. But it's manual when you are able to move the arms on the dials of the tdc and it's on auto when you can't. but when it's on auto, the aob and bearing are linked and aob will update as you track the target.

NB means Nota Bene = Latin for Note Well, or , important point or something like that.

Yes, in the stage where you set your course to 90 degree of target track and then point periscope to 000 and then enter aob of 90

in fact at this point, if say you want to shoot at target track of 125, then you zero the scope again and just key in whatever aob you expect the target to show when it passes straight ahead of you. in this case 125.

and in fact you don't need to be on the attack course first. if you know what you plan to do, you can set it all up long before you enter your attack course.

Range: further from straight ahead, the more important range becomes. this is tricky in sh4 ubm because the notepad is broken as described above.

if you can measure range by other means, eg. by calculating through knowledge of the plot, then you can enter it directly in the tdc.

it was a very bad mistake the devs put in here, and shame they decided ubm would obviously never merit a patch.

this is why it may be better to look in the long run at the karamazovnew interface
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote