View Single Post
Old 10-22-10, 08:58 AM   #21
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman3d View Post
After looking at the shape of the Astute class, I decided to throw out the classic sewer pipe and just make an interesting shape. I went for width rather than height so that I could fit the most vertical launch modular weapons systems for the smallest overall size, and to make piggy-back systems much easier to accomodate. My thinking was that it should be a littoral combat ship, designed for cruise missile and SpecOps missions, as well as the classic anti-ship role. Hence the modularity and azipod steering for improved manoueverability.
That squared bow on the Astute is not part of the pressure hull so it can have that shape.

Quote:
A sphere might be the best shape to resist pressure, but not the best for a usable submarine. The elongated body of revolution is probably the best in terms of speed, stealth and decent pressure resistance, which is why I chose it for my SSN. The current round ended sewer pipe shape popular with US subs is a compromised version of that to make it easier to fit habitable spaces inside, without the constantly changing width of the more efficient shape leaving gaps everywhere.
Well someone could make a more hydrodynamic outer hull built around a pressure resistant spheres or cylinders. If you look at a Russian sub Speed and Stealth are functions of the machinery and outer hull while the pressure resistance is a function of the inner hull.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote