View Single Post
Old 10-19-10, 10:35 AM   #12
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

OK, here's my attempt at a quick SSN design. It's not pretty or cool looking, but it makes sense to me. US subs have been getting slower, heavier and more shallow diving over the past 40 years, so i decided it was time to reverse that trend. This boat is designed for speed and deep diving, so i went with the classic 'body of revolution' shape and as clean and hydrodynamic lines as I could. Here's a couple of quick pics of the work so far...

So there it is, a body of revolution shape rather like the experimental USS Albacore, fitted with a ducted prop and a smoothed out sail. It is about 8 meters shorter than the new Virginia class, but is nearly 2.5 meters wider across the beam which allowed me to fit 22 VLS tubes instead of the current 12 in use today. Along with the standard 4 midships mounted tubes this gives the sub a real flexible payload and lots of power.

I've still to add a few details, and it still doesn't have a towed array of any kind yet, but I'll fix that tomorrow. This is just to show what I have made today. Thoughts?
Axeman3d is offline   Reply With Quote