View Single Post
Old 08-12-10, 12:00 PM   #98
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodlew View Post
I've managed to make some headway. Some of the threads here are amazingly informative.

So I got the Sh3ditor and I looked at various .cam files to try to see what people were changing and what they were not. I didn't look very closely, so hopefully there are some more changes I can make to improve things. But as it is, it seemed to me that to fix the Attack Scope I needed to change the Angular Angle value under 85: CameraParams.

First I changed it until the RAOBF was giving good range calculations. But when I did that the AOB was still all wrong. Since I have the Stadimeter to get range anyway, I started tweaking to make the file give accurate AOB calculations. I noted that a ship 120m long at a range of 1200m should read 40 mils at 90 degs AOB. So at 1.5X zoom I tweaked the Angular Angle value to yield that result. The above value of 58 is pretty close--I can tweak it a bit closer I think, but the tools at hand can only yield so much accuracy.

After getting things close I set up a mission with three Type A Hog Islanders at various ranges and Bow Angles. The first picture shows one at 1,5xZoom, 1200m at 45deg AOB. RAOFB is giving very close AOB.

The second picture shows that although the AOB is right, the vertical scale gives and incorrect range by mast height.

The next two pictures show two more ships, the first at 500m at 45AOB, the second at 5200m at 90AOB. Using the correct stadimeter ranges, the horizontal scale yields very good AOB results, the first in 1.5X Zoom, the second in 6X Zoom.

So, there you have it. Is there anyway to correct the vertical scale to give good range calculations without messing up the horizontal scale for AOB?

edit--Just tried a mission and it seems to work very well. Three ships all plopped on the map at different angles moving at different speeds, AOB must be right because my torpedoes were right on target. Only problem now is since I can't use the RAOBF to get range, I have to update with the Stadimeter, but ever time I do that all of my other settings for AOB and speed are reset to zero. It's a pain. Any way around it?
Hi nodlew, I've been thinking about it all day at work. And I've come to the conclusion that the best bet is to give in and redo the scalling.
You and other's have requested this as playing mu UI at resolutions lower than 1080P just creates to much crowding on screen.

It will have the knock on effect that I will only need to create one cam file for each aspect ratio.
I will start work on it straigh away, hopefully it won't take to much time -certain items can be left at 1:1 scale like the Rec man, AttackDisc, clock etc. So that will spped things up a bit.

Good work on the Camera.cam file, thats pretty much how I got it working on the 1080P resolution (The only one that works properly).
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote