View Single Post
Old 07-22-10, 07:27 AM   #15
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The service I use (PhotoBucket) automatically sizes them to fit the page and converts them to jpeg. I've asked one particular offender not to use pngs, and he replied that they look better that way and continues to do it. I was told by someone else that since the pictures are hosted elsewhere they don't affect Neal's bandwidth and costs, but I'm not sure about that.

But they are still annoying.
You've been speaking to a couple of idiots then.

Firstly, to the human eye a 1920x1080 PNG and a JPEG (of similair dimensions) at 70% compression will look no different. The difference is that the PNG will be about 3mb where as the JPEG will be about 500kb (dependent on image content).

Secondly, even if the image is hosted elsewhere it is still data traffic through Neals server and monthly bandwidth usage charge. It costs him.

How do you combat this?

Options:
1) As Hunter said, there are scripts which will automatically resize any oversized image within the forum. However, you can still view the full res version by opening it in a new page. This will not save bandwidth costs as the downsized image is still it's full file size, just smaller dimensions.

2) If people want to post humungous images (dimension and file size) then that should be a subscription benefit. Make the ****ers pay for wasting Neals (and your) bandwidth. The forum should be limited to a max of 1024 x 768 (without special permission), which is the desktop standard.

3) (my personal favourite) Get someone anal enough to check file sizes/dimensions in posts and give them the power to resize them or delete them. We used to have someone like this.......Gizmo.