View Single Post
Old 09-18-05, 01:22 AM   #306
Neutrino 123
A-ganger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I just did some investigations into sensor washout. Apparently, sensors can perform at full efficientcy at 75% of their 'max speed' as shown in the editor.

One thing to note is that the 688i TB-16 washes out at a slightly different speed then the Seawolf TB-16. The 688i TB-16 should probably be moved up to 25 with the Seawolf for efficientcy at 18 knots.

Right now, a few sensors have somewhat odd washout ranges. Most sensors washout at some multiple of three, but the TB-23 and both Pelmidia TAs do not. These have max speeds of 18 (TB-23), 14 (Pelmedia II), and 10 (Pelmedia) for efficient speeds of 13.5, 10.5, and 7.5. I suggest increasing the max speeds of each of these by two. This will give the TB-23 the same washout qualities as the TB-29. Another option would be to increase the Pelmedia speeds (letting them use their tactical sppeds), and decrese the TB-23 speed by two, to help counterbalance the increase in sensitivity for the TB-23 over the Pelmedia.

P.S. I've read the 688i has sensors three times as sensitive as the Akula's, but this wouldn't triple the detection range compared to the Akula since there are many other factors besides just sensitivity and noise (in the most very basic 2-D calculation, the noise decays as 1/r^2 giving a detection range of ~1.73 times).

Edit: P.P.S. I realized why my previous Akula tests didn't work too well. I was traveling at 8 knots, thinking it was an efficient speed for my TA, but the TA was suffereing from being .5 knots above the efficient speed.
I just did another test with the TB-23 under the same conditions as above. I could not detect a noise level 53 Seawolf (three knots) at 3nm, and lost the thin black 50Hz line of a noise level 55 Kilo-i (one knot) at slightly more then 3nm (edit: the Seawolf was lost at slightly more then 2nm). The noise levels could probably use some tweaking, but I am not sure how at the moment. I will think about it after I review the necessary equations.