View Single Post
Old 05-18-10, 06:04 PM   #12
Seefer
Loader

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
Render range is 40km, you'll never see/hear anything beyond that. Ships will pop into or out of existence when they pass that range.

Hydrophone range is generally around 30-35km for initial contact from what I've seen.

The starter hydrophone works on the surface and this means you'll have approximately 1000% more fun since you'll catch a lot more contacts. Once you upgrade your hydrophones, or use a mod like UHS which correctly stops surface hydrophone contacts, you'll be lucky to find a ship, ever. You'll have to spend the time ducking under the surface every 2 hours, hoping you're close enough to something to hear it. At first it's "realistic" and "fun", then it's "tedious" and "stupid".

I usually end up meeting enough targets or a convoy on the way to a patrol zone so that I sometimes don't make it there at all. Otherwise I just poke around known shipping routes for targets.
I just noticed your stipulation that I may have to duck under the water every 2 hours to make use of the hydrophone. 2 hours is a specific figure to quote and is likely a subtelty of the mechanics of a submarine that I'm not aware of, why the 2 hour figure and how do you come to that figure?
Seefer is offline   Reply With Quote