View Single Post
Old 09-12-05, 05:11 PM   #233
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

That's interesting information. I take it you are sonarman? I had often wondered whether the audio return amplification capability of the active sonars (non-bearing information) exceded its display amplification ability (bearing information), and that SCS got it right and we all think its a bug.

Perhaps that is why the FFG has single-beam mode, Omni, and Omni Directional? Single beam mode can be used to obtain rough bearing information from audio only returns.

Also, on this note, I have many times been in a Kilo on the bottom of the ocean and been well within max detect range of surface active sonar and was not detected. This always felt right to me, do you guys have other experiences with the bug because it sounds like you are ALWAYS detected by AI regardless of anything.

Of course, being able to klick around on the screen to find a contact is not really good.

On another note, since Amizaur made his Speed Graph for Surface Ships, I have changed some of the values to scale the ships for size and quality, so that smaller ships are generally quieter, as are better ships, by class and country. If an updated graph does not get included in this distribution, I would expect it to be posted soon and definately included, along with more thorough documentation and data-tables/graphs, in the already planned v2.01.

Happy Hunting.

Cheers,
David