View Single Post
Old 05-13-10, 11:52 AM   #1
Cy-Fox
SUBSIM Mod (CW+Discord)

Downloads: 112
Uploads: 0

Default Don't buy the Pack direct

A few months ago I purchased the Complete Naval Combat Pack directly on Strategy First's website as a digital download. It consisted of the games 688(i) Hunter/Killer, Fleet Command, Sub Command & Dangerous Waters. Out of these four games, two (688(i) and Fleet Command) work out of the (digital) box. Sub Comoumand and Dangerous Waters have a broken activation system in place that won't let me run the game. It acts for a CD key (which none had, and there were no DRM keys indicated in the order e-mail). I e-mailed Strategy First's support department regarding Dangerous Waters and didn't get a response (a patch for Dangerous Waters) until I sent a followup e-mail. That was at the end of February

April 9th, I decide to fire up Sub Command. It has the same exact DRM, same exact problem. Sent an e-mail to support. I expected at most to be kept on the hook for a week, maybe two at most.

It's now been past a month to the day I e-mailed them for a patch. No response at all. I just sent them another e-mail and I'm pissed. I paid close to $50 for that pack. $50.00 for games that range from 7 to 15 years in age and only two work.

This is a case in point that DRM is getting out of hand. I'm a paying customer, so I expect my money's worth in product AND in support. I could've probably pirated these games, but instead I wanted to be legit.

It's rather sad that buying direct to get around using Steam ended up making me want to use Steam.
Cy-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote