View Single Post
Old 09-12-05, 04:58 AM   #227
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Luftwolf, I see our mail contact has broken or something... seems you didn't get my last emails with graph pack and two last changes to thrust profiles ? I send you email now, I made those two corrections (Akula 2 cSpeedNoise to 21, Kilo new dedicated thrust profile with cSpeedNoise = 13) that are needed so tha game is compatible with graphs, I made graphs with those changes taken into account. Database with graph pack should be in your and Bill's mailbox now.

P.S. But the most important change of this mod is not the NLs in my opinion ! :-)

For me the most important is the diversification of torpedo seekers, so small ASW or old torpedos don't have 5000yd acquire range like ADCAP, in fact even ADCAP now have smaller range because the typical target is supposed to be modern SSN or SSK with anechoic-coating, not big old SSBN. I forget to add table of torpedo seeker ranges will fix it !

Also the reduction of DICASS active range from always max vs everything to lower values vs at least some small targets is big difference I think, VERY big for Kilo drivers :-) now we stand a chance sometimes. Also FFGs active doesn't show every target on max range anymore. Unfortunately the "blip" ping return can still be heard even when tgt should not be detected and there is nothing on the screen (really nothing, no contrast/gamma/brightness settings can separate anything).

Maybe it would be good idea to remove the ping return sound from the FFGs and Subs active sonar stations ? An idea for sound modders - give a null sample instead of the "blip". I think there is nothing like that in reality and operator have to find the target on the screen, am I right ?

And in SP games too AI FFGs will not detect everything on max range on active (and send link to everyone else). I think it this would work ok, then other AI surface active sonars will be modified in same way, so it would be possible then to sneak closer in some conditions even against active sonar.

But of course it's only poor man's workaround, not in any way solution, the real improvement will be only true fix of active sonar model by SCS ! Same for doctrine mod that prevents AI from sinking friendly ships - it works... but this is all good about it - it causes unnecessary torpedo doctrine complication. Simple fix by SCS to make AI units set proper ceiling of their weapons would be 10x better.
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote