View Single Post
Old 05-11-10, 06:37 PM   #6
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_magerius View Post
Edit: Not too sure about the promotion sheet frequency, don't know if it's renown controlled or just when your crew has amassed a certain amount of XP. Hopefully a clever person can tell us
I always assumed crew promotions were based on whether or not someone aboard had reached or surpassed the max "experience" level for their current rank.

If you click on a particular crew member in the appropriate screen, down in the bottom right corner you get all his details: name, rank, # of patrols, resilience/morale/etc. levels... and also you'll see two numbers separated by a '/'. The latter number of the pair is the max "experience" level for the crewman's rank, and the former is the level he's currently achieved.

Based on the few promotions I've been given the opportunity to dole out, I think a crewman only becomes eligible when he meets or exceeds the max level for his current rank. However I don't think this means that every dude who does this on a particular patrol can be promoted at the end of it. I seem to remember one patrol where I had one promotion to hand out, and had 5-6 crewmen who were eligible. I had to decide which one got the nod. IIRC when you are in the screen for awarding promotions, the icons for the guys who are eligible at that time will be highlighted. If you try to promote someone who is not eligible by virtue of having reached the appropriate experience level for his rank, the game will not let you promote him.

As a side note I always thought it odd that the game would tell you your crew was eligible for, say, two Iron Crosses, and then let you decide who got them... but I've read recently that sometimes that's exactly how it worked in real life. Because so much of what went into a successful patrol depended on the teamwork of an entire crew, it was often difficult for the higher-ups on land to pinpoint which particular crewmen were most deserving of an award - so a certain number of them would be allocated to a returning boat's crew and it would be left up to the commander to decide who among the crew received the special recognition.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote