Old 04-04-10, 05:15 PM   #611
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
Are these any good?

I read his "U-Boats in the Mediterranean"-I was kinda "Meh" about the book. Now I'm a little gun shy about buying these two. I have them on my list at Amazon.

These books are not what I call a detailed history, the books charts the flotilla war diary a record of admin matters & combat results compiled by the flotilla commander.

Examples are short entrys not all are like this, half a page to three pages. -

Chapter 6
27th June 1941
The war diary of 1st U-Flotilla recorded the inaugural use of its facilities:
"The U-Support Station of the 1st U-Flotilla in Brest has received its first Front boat and hence fulfilled its actual purpose. The base, as it stands, is ready for 15 U-boats, the docks currently for two to three boats, thereafter six, and then more later,"

Chapter 7
16th May 1942
U116 departed for the North Atlantic and her first voyage as supply ship. Following the new directive from Bdu regarding optimal sailing times, she slipped from harbour at 2000hrs in the wake of her vorpostenboote escourt.

29th July 1942
U203 1600hrs; Mutzelberg arrives. Celebrations for the new Flotilla Oak Leaves holder.

11th August 1942
Kptlt. Werner Schult brought U582 into her concrete bunker at 1730hrs. As well as four victory pennants claiming 32,000 BRT of shipping sunk while part of the Hai pack.

Chapter 8
1st March 1943
Winter noted the following transfers to 1st U-Flotilla:
"New boats U305, U306, U415 from Dnzig's 8th U-Flotilla, veteran U209 from Bergen's 11st U-Flotilla."

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote