View Single Post
Old 03-27-10, 02:44 PM   #655
Redlance88
Sailor man

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0
Default seems like personal preferance and a comment

I don't thing it's about calling any one a liar, the person makes a valid point that common sense would seem to bear out, why put a (hard metal presumably) bar in front of sharp saws designed to cut through sub nets? it would limit the effectiveness of the net cutter, it stands to reason that the flag mast is easily removable either socket n post or other method so that when in friendly waters one can fly national colors. When the sub is in hostile waters and might need to use the net cutters, I doubt the jack would be there. regardless I would rather the "ship yard" remove this mast as well. One other logical thing to think about is that the photo is a PR kind of photo of a brand new sub, much like the launching of modern US subs all sorts of flags decorations and other "show the colors" junk is on there that would not be on a active sub as sea. My guess, is that at sea in war time that mast is not present and it's valid to want to have a mod that removes it. no offense to any one intended just making a point and stating personal taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate View Post
Better take another good look at the picture and if that is not good enough read the text below the picture.

Here I'll refresh your mind:

"A "jack" (Goesch or Gösch in German) is a small version of the national flag that is flown from a jackstaff on the bow of a war ship to indicate its nationality, while a military or war ensign is flown on the stern. A jack is below shown flying from the jackstaff on a new submarine just launched at the Krupp Germania Wharf Kiel, in the period ad at the left.

Do you still want to call the writer a liar??
Redlance88 is offline   Reply With Quote