View Single Post
Old 03-09-10, 02:51 PM   #905
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Riley View Post
Finally broke out into the North sea after a very dull voyage through the Skagerrak.Seems we also have a problem with the compressor after our test dive,blew once on the air and it leaked all the way down to 100 litres.
As we entered AN15 we spotted a lone vessel heading west towards Britain,upon closer inspection it was confirmed as a Norwegian medium cargo and allowed to pass safely.
Later that evening we got an SOS call from a stricken ship going by the name of the SS Athenia,however we carried on towards our assigned grid.
Day 3
12:43 - Spotted a Granville in AN43 heading on a mean course of 288 inbound to Britain.After about 45 mins overhauling we drew level and confirmed the ship as doing 8kts.I quickly set up a submerged attack for 2 hrs time at a range of approx 1000m.Target showed up practically on time however it appeared to have changed course for a more southerly direction,putting us out of range.Regardless I decided to go through with the attack and set up our new attack for just under 3km.I aimed at the foremast with an impact pistol set to 2m.What followed was a textbook shot slamming into the ship's bow causing a fire on deck.She was a tough one and took about 30 mins to sink for a total of 4707 tonnes.
I decided it was right to issue a moment of thought for the poor British sailers who never saw it coming.I may be in the German UBoat fleet,but me and my men have a special admiration for our English cousins.Lets all hope the chimney stacks back in Berlin find a way to avert a protracted war of atrition with Britain resulting in even more needless carnage,our real foe lies to the east!
I and my crew are very satisfied with our first attack at quite a testing range.Every man was awarded with a bottle of Becks and a 30 min break,yet every man knows in his heart these breaks won't be a common practice before too long...the British will have stopped making mistakes.
Tonight's events so far

4th Sept '39
19:19
Ran into a filthy storm moving through AN46-AN42,waves coming right over the top,visibility poor
20:00
Forced to dive for the duration of the night,will surface when light to recharge

Day 5
08:31
Recieved an SOS from SS Bosnia,45 deg 29' North / 09 deg 45' West.Continued on to PZ
13:01
SOS signal,SS Pluvoise stopped by German UBoat operating from 39 deg 42' North / 09 deg 10' West
14:01
SOS Royal Sceptre,no further information
15:10
Picked up a sound contact bearing 36 deg heading roughly NNE,broke out at max speed to investigate.Sound checks every 15 mins until target aqquisition.If hostile I plan to shadow target until nightfall then commence attack surfaced from a range of approx 1000-1500m,depending on immediate visibility.Attack will be made facing away from the strong SE winds.No mag tips to be used.If attack fails due to poor conditions will break off and report contact in to base.Torps must be conserved as much as possible,we have only 4 left.
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote