View Single Post
Old 02-14-10, 01:36 PM   #767
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0

January 12, 1940

Just returned to Wilhelmshaven and glad to be back. This patrol was exciting, but very long and incredibly stressful. It was our second consecutive patrol to the Western Approaches, to the same grid as last time.

Encountered more warship activity throughout the Channel than expected, and plenty of merchants. My attempts to conserve our cache of torpedoes was mostly unsuccessful, although the English and the French are now short one destroyer apiece.

Upon completing our patrol we scouted north into the Irish Sea, encountering numerous aircraft. Spent much of the daylight hours submerged. Perhaps 20 hours into our reconnaissance I realized that Bdu had contacted us the day before, reporting a possible task force well northwest of our position. Despite our best efforts to intercept, nearly four days had elapsed by the time we reached the area. We found only empty ocean.

The Brits harried us with their aircraft all along the way, one encounter being so far from any shore that at first I thought perhaps the task force could be nearby. Spent an additional 48 hours scouring the surrounding ocean and found absolutely nothing.

We steamed back home, passing north of Scotland. Again, more aircraft, but there was some moderate merchant activity east of the Scapa Flow area. Gave the gunners something to play with.

My crew and I are exhausted beyond belief, and quite demoralized over missing the task force. Perhaps another day we will succeed, but for now it is a glass of Beck's, two plates of hot unspoiled food, and as much sleep as I am permitted.

Note to self:

The crew are overdue for rotation. Dismiss WO after next patrol, if it is possible to promote his subordinate. He has earned his own ship.

Last edited by krashkart; 02-14-10 at 05:29 PM.
krashkart is offline   Reply With Quote