View Single Post
Old 01-17-10, 12:26 PM   #66
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by looney View Post
I do think the reload time should be around 1 sec instead of 5. Same with the 88 and 105 those reload times should be imho around 4-6 sec.

I once saw some film footage of a pak 37mm firing ap rounds at a building (discovery show about the difference between HE and AP rounds) there it was clearly shown that the gun (37mm PAK was similar to 37mm FLAK) could be loaded in about 1 sec time if the loader was prepared.

All the guns 88, 105, 37mm where semi automatic breach loaders. Meaning when the round is loaded the breech is closed manually. After firing the gun empties the chamber automaticly. Thus a loader only has to place the round in the breech.

But gamewise I like the slower reload speed of the 88 and 105. On the 37mm I like to have it shortened
A conversation with a long history here. This source gives 2 seconds for the early 3.7mm.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_37mm-83_skc30.htm

As for the deck guns, yes they could be loaded and fired in as little as 4 seconds. The problem is that the game lets you do that in any weather, and as there was no dedicated fire control system as existed on larger ships, and the submarine is a fairly unstable surface gun platform, the gunner had to manually fire "on the roll", meaning at the exact point when he thought the boat was perfectly level. The difficulty of doing this even on a supposedly calm flat sea meant that 10 seconds was probably a good rate of fire for the best of them, let alone someone with less experience and in even a moderate sea state.