View Single Post
Old 12-02-09, 09:24 PM   #1726
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default thanks.

thanks for getting me staright on the range/aspect ratio.

By the way, it has been slowly dawning on me that your attention to historical detail is one the things that sets TMO 1.9 apart. All the major mods have special effects unique to them, but TMO adds additional details that attempts to adhere to historical accuracy from what I gather. I am not speaking from personal experience, but from reading the discussions in this thread, especially your input, which is often laced with techical and historical references unique to submarines and sub warfare of the time period. In my comments in the voting for mod of the year I mentioned it, but did not know how to express my thoughts fully. After reading the last few posts, I am able to so, and here you have it. It is an impressive characteristic of the mod.

SH4 was missing was this aspect -- i.e. the attention to historical detail. Hopefully, they will figure it out in SH5. I for one am most appreciative of your work for this added quality. Apparently, you have submarines running through your veins, and for us that play TMO it is a good thing.

(p.s. As an aside, I worked for a project director who served on a destroyer in the war. He was at sea the first seven months of the war, and later served in the Mediteranean and his boat was a rear guard on D-Day. He read Das Boot and expressed his displeasure that its author referred to U.S. fighter aircraft at one point inaccurately. He said that it was well known that the fighter was not manufactured until after the time frame mentioned in the book. I told him that since the author was German (I think he was), he probably did not know the exact model of the American fighter and assumed it was type he referred to. That did not convince him.

By the way, he was on the U.S. sub that captured a German U Boat. They chased it for three days until had to surface. His boat was sent to the U.S. where they spent time raising War Bonds for many months. He confided that they would let young ladies tour the boat for free if .... (you know the rest.)

He was so scared of German dive bombers when they patrolled of the coast of Africa that he slept on the deck. He also said the troops on the ground knew that they could beat the Japanese when the Marines met and decimated an elite Japanese force on a beach on Gualadcanal. After that, he said, the soldiers felt it was just a matter of time.)
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote