View Single Post
Old 10-06-09, 09:21 PM   #1414
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Ducimus, if you

If you open your front door and find the Barbarinna's torpedoes tubes in you lovely face, here is why.

I started a mission in February of 1942.

The Barbarinna sailed to the patrol area between Abandon and Abuse, and sunk a merchant. Smiling and chortling loudly, the crew and I headed for Osaka for photo recon.

Once I entered inland water en route to Osaka, I ran into hell on the hight seas. I spent 4 hours crawling along the bottom dodging dds as soon as I left deep waters. Two dds and then a gunboats hunted my boat. I was repairing damage all day long, and only lost them when night fell. I was at a depth of 90 feet, so the boat's silhouette could be seen, making the Barbarinnna a nice target. The gunboat dropped a depth charge so close to the surface that it was sunk by the detonation. It ended up on the bottom, less than 10 feet from where my boat was hiding.

After I shook the dds, I was out of battery power. CO2 was about ready to kill the crew. I was compelled to surface, where I was confronted in the dark by another Gunboat. My deck gun crew were all killed, and I spent the next hour (real time) repairing the boat.

By the time I crawled into the patrol point for photo recon, it was 0400 hours and my boat was operational. However, I could not recon, because I could not get fix on the Jap boats in the harbor for photo ops as it was too dark. When the sun came up, 5 hours later, I finally completed the recon order. I had to surface to escape as I the CO2 was threatening to kill the crew again. I was bombed by an airplane and then attacked by another Gunboat. I sunk it after taking heavy damage with more crew killed. I repaired the boat and snuck off, heading for open ocean, miles off.

I sunk another gun boat, which ultimately finished of the Barbarinna, in a slow death attributable to flooding.
Before it was over, my replacement crew sunk the gunboat in a ferocious surface battle. Two compartments flooded. I tried to stave of a third that was flooding. The crew had it under control for awhile. The boat lasted an hour before it was finally over. Another attack from somewhere. We never saw it coming. What's worse was that we were was only 5 miles from the safety of deep water when the Barbarinna met her demise.

All I got was a Purple Heart.

Where did you come up with that hellacious mission?(That is one mission, I will NOT (as in NEVER) replay!)

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 10-06-09 at 10:46 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote