Old 08-18-09, 05:19 PM   #321
patti
VIP

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Barton View Post
Zeb's mother had asthma until she was around 40. When she was a little girl and having a bad asthma attack, the doctor informed her parents, Carrie and Zeb Dickey, that he was unsure if she would make it through the night. Her father, Zeb Dickey, got down on his knees and promised God if she lived he would turn his life over to the Lord. Doris, Zeb's mother, made it through the night. The next morning Zeb was sitting at the breakfast table and a traveling preacher rode through the backyard on a horse. (This was in the early 1900's or the late 1800's.) Zeb Dickey jumped up, ran outside and told the preacher he wanted commit his life to the Lord. He did, came back inside and announced, "Wife, we have just become Baptist."
Zeb Dickey became the Treasurer of the Baptist Church and in charge of the Building Fund. When he died, a booklet was written about him and his numerous accomplishments. He was compared to a hickory tree. It was written that a hickory tree is one of the strongest trees. It said his strength, guidance, financial expertise and demeanor were some of the reasons the First Baptist Church became a reality.
I told Uncle Zeb this story over the phone a few years ago. He paused and became quiet. Slowly he told me that he had been fortunate enough to meet some of the most intriguing people in the world.
He said that of all the people he had known, the ones that meant the most to him were his grandparents, Carrie and Zeb Dickey.
Zeb's mother, Doris, became the organist of that church and served for 50 years. Because of her asthma, she could not run and play like the others, so they taught her piano.
She named her firstborn after her father, Zeb Dickey.

Submitted by Catherine Alford Barton, Zeb's niece.
Cathy,
of all the stories that Dad told us I don't think that I ever heard that one and it was wonderful. I had no idea how McComb Baptist started so thank you so much. I do remember that Dad told us the story of Mammaw always being sick with asthma and how she had to smoke "special " cigarettes that made her feel better and Dad found out much later in life that they were marijuana cigarettes! That was quite a story coming from Dad.
patti is offline   Reply With Quote