View Single Post
Old 08-07-09, 04:03 AM   #109
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358
Uploads: 0

I read with sadness of the passing of Capt Alford. A remarkable man, a consumate seaman, trusted and accomplished Captain, and I am sure, a fine shipmate to all who knew and loved him, as well as a beloved father and husband and freind. What a tribute to him as well, the posts by you four daughters, what finer tribute can a man have than to be loved by those he loved?

To go to sea, and to be at sea on a tour of duty, a voyage, one is far from home, far from port, and far out under the sky commanded only by one's compass, and the Lord of the Waters. Each time, one never knows what may come, yet men like Capt Alford have folowed that duty with cheer, strong hearts and the courage and compassion that character brings. Reading the tale of his career one can sense behind and between the words the immense dedication, attention and care given, and a life lived fully.

A life is like a voyage too, we are all of us far from the port that we were launched from, and none know when we may be called to make that final port of call. I had tears many times as i read these posts and thought of a life of duty and service and then folllowed by earnest and valiant additional work to help us all described here. I am only sorry i never will be able to meet this fine man. I am from a Naval family, and have been on two of Capt Alford's commands over past years, thought not I believe when he was in command. We are all here shipmates of a kind, and no better word describes the bonding and the fellowship that comes from service at sea and for shared goals and voyaging.

Fair winds, Captain, and though you have departed on your final voyage from us here, out there in that vast Ocean none of us may know yet, you are surely sharing your voyage with shipmates and loved ones both in spirit from here and who may have also passed on that journey as well.

I made a little picture of what i see as your final leave taking, a view I am sure you saw many times in the service.....and a wonderful last port of call to depart from...and to journey forth bearing so much love from those you leave behind your heart will be warmed forever and a day.

Salute