View Single Post
Old 08-03-09, 08:53 AM   #11
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbph View Post
Hmmm... last I recall it had been established with overwhelming empirical evidence that, in game terms, the Argo system was far superior to the Dreyer system... such that a Dreyer equipped Brit BB, even one of equal or greater firepower and tactical position, was at a distinct disadvantage to any FC equipped German BB.
You seem to have misunderstood.

Everybody on both sides (except Queen Mary) uses a Dreyer-type system. That was the standard type of fire control system in WW1. It was, of course, only called a "Dreyer Table" in the RN, but everybody's gear was directly analogous. However, it's limits were known and by late WW1, Pollen-type systems were becoming seen as necessary, so that everybody switched to Pollen-type systems shortly after WW1. Pollen-type systems were thus standard by WW2.

Because everybody uses a Dreyer-type system, you don't have the situation you describe, of Dreyer-equipped ships being hosed by "Argo-equipped" ships. The differences in gunnery in Jutland are due to different training standards, different types of rangefinders, and ship design, etc. This is what makes Germans get on target faster and shoot slightly better than RN BBs, and why RN BCs (except Queen Mary) can't shoot very well. Neither can ships with funnels ahead of the foremast, or too few guns for adequate spotting.

Quote:
I also recall that this, according to SES, was absolutely the way it was and therefore the way the game was designed.
Yup.

Quote:
Are you saying now that this has been "adjusted"?

And yes... I am curious for good reason. If this has been fixed it may just make this game playable (IMH and Uninformed O of course).
I think rather that you're misinformed. The "problem" you mention doesn't exist and never has. All the various categories of ships mentioned above shoot very close to their historical averages over the long run, but for short periods can shoot rather worse or better, which is realistic because that also happened.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote