View Single Post
Old 07-01-09, 05:37 PM   #19
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsmith View Post
I will surely attempt that advice, thank you! But... I usually not attack ships in line - very rare...
Lines are the best targets--if you don't hit the one you aim at, you might hit another. And even if you miss completely, you'll still screw the whole formation up. But that's in Jutland; in the RJW sending DDs after a line of ships in presumably good condition is suicide.

Quote:
What you say is to complex for me
It's a lot simpler than that ugly formula you posted . I was just describing how to estimate the parameters by eye, no math required.

Quote:
:

Maybe I'm not a mathematician - but I see no difficulties to fire in that situation and torpedo to hit
Well, as you've drawn the picture, most DDs in both games would be unable to launch. This is because the impact point is so far forward of the DDs' beam, it's out of the arc of broadside tubes. I think only a WW1 German DD could launch in this situation, and only with 1 bow tube. The rest of its tubes, and all those of other DDs, would be unable to fire.

This is because the impact point is outside of their tubes' firing arcs. Almost all DDs' tubes have 90^ arcs on each side of the ship, centered on their beams. IOW, the impact point can be no more than 45^ ahead of or abaft their beams. Thus, to get the DD to lauch torpedoes, you should turn the DD to port, so that the impact point is within the arcs of its broadside tubes.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote