View Single Post
Old 04-22-09, 03:37 PM   #27
Etienne
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
The main concerns for surface travel would be traffic, unlighted rigs, and draft. That is not much different from the thousands of power sailboats (coasters) who spend their time in the ICWW and Gulf here.
RADAR, ARPA, AIS, ECDIS, NAVTEX.

Another problem solved by the alphabet! :rotfl:

Oberon might have a point, there... The navy might be interested in chartering the sub for training exercises - That could pay the bills during Get Out of the Caribbeans Season.

You're also going to need an "Internet Café" type thing for DW and SH LAN games.

EDIT: I had an idea on simulating torpedo attacks:

In the mess room / some other out of the way place, set up an AIS or RADAR/ARPA repeater. AIS might be easier. (Just run an extra screen off the chart system. It's relatively simple to do.)

Once the contact is detected / somebody decides to attack, the "arbiter" or "Game Master" or whatever you want to call him fires up the SHIV mission editor (Or DW, or something else) and create a mission. He's got the target's true course, speed and relative position, so he can quickly set up a scenario matching the condition.

As the crew, the guests or whoever come up with a firing solution, he enters that into the sim, and essentially mimick the crew's actions.

If somebody ****ed up the solution, it's gonna miss in the sim. If they got it right, the sim's going to report a hit.

At that point, the arbiter flicks the switch that controls the gigantic sub woofers installed under the floor boards :-D

Obviously, it's not going to be very satisfying to whoever's looking through the scope, but there would probably be a way to hook a training system into the sonar and... Yeah. (Although if the ship's an accomplice, some corner store fireworks and one of those movie studio water cannon...)

I have way too much thinking time on my hands. That WOULD be sort of awesome, tho.

Last edited by Etienne; 04-22-09 at 05:08 PM.
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote