View Single Post
Old 04-08-09, 09:03 AM   #6
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1962 View Post
I was in HQ Battery before DS. I had been a battery XO and drafted up to be in the S-1 shop . I went over as the Arty LNO with then 2d LAI, now LAR.
I buy drinks for anybody who was in 2nd LAI back then. They saved our bacon bigtime during the battle of Al Wafra. My team of CBR went out with 2/10 to do a raid one night, with nothing behind us for like 60 miles and only 2nd LAI keeping us company. The raid never happened, though, because we met an Iraqi armored brigade coming the other way. 2nd LAI had just enough TOWs to make them pull back just before it became a very short-range direct fire situation.

Quote:
There is a good chance we met as I was very interested in CBR. It impressed me as a great capabilitiy and one we did not fully understand until the war.
Well, I was just a corporal so we probably weren't drinking buddies . I was in one of the TPC teams sitting in the corner of COC next to the S-2. My team spent most of its time with 2/10--we only came back to HQ/10 every week or so to resupply.

I know what you mean about not knowing what CBR could do. These days, everybody expects our high-tech weaponry to work perfectly from seeing it on TV so much. But back then, it was always 1 scandal after another about expensive toys that didn't work. Everybody, even us who used it, figured CBR was the same and it frequently happened that when setting up the COC, they forgot to leave a place for us. That lasted right up until the 1st time HQ/10 got shelled and CBR put a stop it most ricki. After that, they built COC around the TPC
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote