View Single Post
Old 03-12-09, 08:58 AM   #8
Olham54
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Most immersive combat flight sim I know

Hi, all
Found OFF - Phase 2 in October 2008 through websearching for a WW1 sim.
There weren't any newer ones, and I still dreamt of something like "Dawn Patrol" or "Flying Corps".
And with OFF, I had found that. And it was even for free; a guy from Canada sent me a copy. They asked for donation, but most people didn't make any (me included, to be honest), and when it came to Phase 3, they decided to make it an official buy-ware. After years of working on what has now become THE NO.1 WW1 combat sim, there's nothing wrong with that.

Meanwhile, "Over Flanders Fields - Between Heaven and Hell" has been patched up to the most immersive sim I could have dreamt of. The feel is just incredible, climbing into my Albatros cockpit, taking off, and flying over those beautifully made terrains, through great weather simulation with sometimes dramatic thunder clouds towering - until I encounter enemy planes. Then comes one of the greatest achievements: the AI pilots. They behave like real human multiplayer opponents. Fighting is such a challange here, that I find it hard to survive. I must really do something for it; must learn to know the good and bad sides of my and the opponents plane, must remember the rules, change tactics etc.
Although I get my nose punched regularly, I come back to it every day. I want to become a good WW1 pilot. I want to last longer than the average 17 hours. I'd like to collect a tall kill tally. All that is (at full realism settings) damn hard, and a real challenge for a combat flight simmer.
I don't need anything else (except a new graphic card)...
Cheers. Olham
Olham54 is offline   Reply With Quote