View Single Post
Old 02-09-09, 05:45 PM   #184
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Unnatural seletion

Feb. 9, 1945 13:05

The whole base buzzed nervously with the news of the latest mauling. Raptor was buried with full, if somewhat hurried, military honors in the ancient cemetery northeast of the village. The U-bootmenn were deeply shaken, they had loved and admired the old Chief. In the makeshift infirmary, the Kamp men streamed past Letum’s screened off bed with the caps in hand and a few with a tear in their eye. None were allowed to visit with the comatose soldier. Oberst Chad had a guard stationed at his bed.

Mayor Contact and Oberst Chad conferred and called all the men and the villagers to the old well for an announcement.

“Men of the Wehrmacht, men of the Kriegsmarine, people of Vanvikan, I am declaring a state of emergency,” began Oberst Chad. “Two men have been savagely attacked and murdered, and one is lying in a bed from which he may never wake up to tell us what he saw. Therefore, we shall not wait for the next attack. Under my authority, we will determine who among you is likely to be causing these crimes and he, or she, will be summarily shot at sunset. Come forward and present your evidence, your testimony, your alibi…and then cast a lot for the person you believe to be the guilty party. I am a firm believer in people’s instincts. We shall find the murderer.

If you are accused, you will be allowed to make a plea before the mob, er,…I mean, people.”

Now, let’s get this dirty business over so we can continue on with our work and lives.”