View Single Post
Old 12-22-08, 06:37 PM   #2
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

06/12/1939

My second sortie in charge. Today we are to babysit some IL-4's on a bombing mission near a Finnish town beginning with 'V' They say Russian towns are unpronouncable....

After taking off we circled to await the bombers but given we had about 16 of us up today I decided to go for an offensive fighter sweep. Better to engage the fighters before the bombers arrive lest we let one slip through. I do hope stavka understand my initiative and the bomber crews don't complain. I heard of another commander accused of cowardice and disobeying orders when he changed tack mid flight...rumours are the NKVD dealt with him. I shouldn't tell you this but all the NKVD do is cause trouble. It's hard enough to fight a war without some numbskull to incompetent to be a real soldier telling you how to fight. As if my crews don't know enough people who have been shot down.

Alas I digress. Cruising at 2000 metres we penetrated deep into Finnish airspace. We then heard excited calls on the radio and I saw tracer fire in the distance a bit below me. I was able to swoop down behind a J-8 and hammered him with a fw bursts before I overshot. Swooping back around I gave a good burst and shot off his elevator....after that he dived into the ground.....That made my 5th kill and onto the ace list.

I soon saw another J-8a and pulled onto his tail...Giving a good burst and maintaining position I set him alight as I flew off for the third and fourth kills. I do however have to have a word with my squadron. When someone is in firing position to wait. twice now I have sen tracer fly over my shoulder and today I clipped a comrade who ducked in front of me...

Till the next time.

Outward bound

Closing in

Kill 5