SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   CMOS Battery Failed! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=255575)

ChristopherTarana 06-11-23 07:39 PM

CMOS Battery Failed!

CMOS Battery Failed! :ping: The CMOS battery failed on the Vista computer! Now I'm using a computer running Windows 7 64 bit!

Christopher Tarana

Onkel Neal 06-12-23 06:42 AM

Vista computer? Need more details... :hmmm:

Commander Wallace 06-12-23 07:13 AM

I have no idea what the operating system would have to do with a CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) battery going bad would have to do with anything. The CMOS battery acts as a battery and chip that maintains settings and things like dates on startup.

Simply replace the battery, wait, then reset the jumper beside the CMOS battery. The jumper should have something like " Reset CMOS. " near the location, on the motherboard.

The battery itself is easy to remove in a desktop machine. It becomes a little more complicated in laptop computers as the battery itself has a protective case with two wires protruding from it with a small socket that plugs into the mother board. They can be relatively expensive.

ChristopherTarana 06-12-23 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2871573)
Vista computer? Need more details... :hmmm:

It was a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista 32 Bit for the OS! :arrgh!:

Christopher Tarana

ChristopherTarana 06-12-23 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Wallace (Post 2871575)
I have no idea what the operating system would have to do with a CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) battery going bad would have to do with anything. The CMOS battery acts as a battery and chip that maintains settings and things like dates on startup.

Simply replace the battery, wait, then reset the jumper beside the CMOS battery. The jumper should have something like " Reset CMOS. " near the location, on the motherboard.

The battery itself is easy to remove in a desktop machine. It becomes a little more complicated in laptop computers as the battery itself has a protective case with two wires protruding from it with a small socket that plugs into the mother board. They can be relatively expensive.

GeekSquad wanted over $100.00 to run a diagnostic on the Laptop!

Christopher Tarana

Commander Wallace 06-12-23 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherTarana (Post 2871614)
GeekSquad wanted over $100.00 to run a diagnostic on the Laptop!

Christopher Tarana

The Geek squad is the last people I would go to. They are in business to make money and will lie to you to get you to buy a new computer from them. You hardly need a diagnostic. Your settings like date will have to be reset after replacing the battery. It can be a pain but it's not a big Issue and I doubt there is anything wrong with your computer if it worked before the battery issue. Replace your battery and I'm sure your problems will be rectified, straight away.

Just replace the battery and go from there. Trust me, it's pretty straight forward. If you have any issues, send me a message and I will talk you through it. It will save you some serious money that I'm sure you can use for other things. :)

All the best.

CW

Jeff-Groves 06-12-23 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherTarana (Post 2871526)
CMOS Battery Failed! :ping: The CMOS battery failed on the Vista computer! Now I'm using a computer running Windows 7 64 bit!

Your way better off! I still run WinDoze 7 64 bit.

Commander Wallace 06-12-23 01:04 PM

^ Jeff is right in that Windows 7 is a better platform. Windows 7 is essentially a cleaned up version of Windows Vista. Windows Vista consumed resources like memory and it was terrible. The good news is Windows 7 can retrofitted to your Windows Vista unit.

Keep in mind that Windows 7 is no longer supported so if the Windows 7 unit goes online, there can be on line security risks. Ubunto and Linux Operating systems are a more viable option and they are free. Keep in mind the file systems used in any Windows application and Linux are incompatible, for the most part. There is a " wine " component in Linux that allows Windows to run in Linux but I have no Idea how effective they are.

Jeff-Groves 06-12-23 01:19 PM

7 is so old that not many Bad Guys attack it!
:haha:
Any good AV Program will protect you if you don't do Stupid!
When I switch? It will be Ultimate Arch by theemahn.
He is a friend that lives about 9 miles away.

ChristopherTarana 06-12-23 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves (Post 2871634)
7 is so old that not many Bad Guys attack it!
:haha:
Any good AV Program will protect you if you don't do Stupid!
When I switch? It will be Ultimate Arch by theemahn.
He is a friend that lives about 9 miles away.

I run AVG Free to keep the viruses off! :arrgh!: It's cost less than what CVS sells! I did notice that before Trump's Election, all the Russian websites were rumoured to have Viruses! Now it's the Italian websites that do! :Kaleun_Salute:
Christopher Tarana

Buddahaid 06-12-23 08:50 PM

The only reason I have any old Windows 7 laptops is to interface with equipment I have to service through USB serial adapters, and to bypass HDCP of streamed content. It's a bit weird to install now but you can still get there. I do recommend cloning your HDD to an SSD. The speed performance increase is very notable.