SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Windows firewall? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220235)

STEED 05-19-15 12:51 PM

Windows firewall?

Up to last weekend I was using the free Comodo firewall and all was well then a update came though and..:/\\!!

A ton of syrup hit my Win8.1 everything slowed down slower than a snail and it blocked the Internet as well! Switch it off and business as usual switched it back on and the syrup was back. Uninstalled it cleaned up the PC re-installed and the yes you got it.

Now dumped it outright, is anyone just using the windows firewall? everything OK no issues?

HW3 05-19-15 03:53 PM

I use it as part of my security setup which includes an antivirus and malware fighter. I've had no problems yet.

Rhodes 05-20-15 06:05 AM

Same here. It does the job. Began using it when that virus come around (can not remember the name) that re-booted the PC over and over, if connect to the internet.
Of course, firewall programs may be more secure and block more.

Sailor Steve 05-20-15 09:48 AM

I've never had a problem with it. I use it with Windows Defender and have a couple of other anti-virus programs to run scans with.

Jimbuna 05-20-15 10:21 AM

Give Microsoft Security Essentials a spin STEED, I've never had any problems since I started using it.

Pisces 05-20-15 10:59 AM

Only the earliest version of XP (non-servicepack-ed) was suspect iirc. Eventually Microsoft got it's act together in plugging the holes in it's OS-es. But the public image damage was done. I see no reason to consider Vista, 7 and later to need the same treatment as the XP firewall. Imho the other 3rd party firewalls are pretty much bloatware. But then, I'm comfortable in editing the firewall settings as I'm a tech guy. Other less network-knowledgable people might have more trouble and need a simplified user interface that other firewalls provide. But from a security standpoint I don't think the Windows firewall is inherently bad.

Also, Firewalls are not equal to virusscanners and malware scanners. So you need to have both. Firewalls only look at where network packets come and go to/from, and checks what sort of packet types it is. It either allows or blocks and drops this based on rules. Whereas virusscanners and malware scanners check on a much higher level if something is indeed (or looks like) acting in a malicious way on a file/email level in the OS.

STEED 05-20-15 11:05 AM

I got the windows fire wall on and also running free editions of Avast anti virus with Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware & Ccleaner. To date never had issues with these freeware ones and rather keep them going.

nikimcbee 05-20-15 11:12 AM

I just had a problem with the win 8.1 update and the AVG virus program. I think it/I blocked the driver for media player, which ceased working. I just re-installed the driver for my sound software and everything works now. So AVG caught/blocked something.

Smurfing windows.:shifty:

STEED 05-20-15 11:58 AM

I shall keep my set up as it is now as said in my last post. I do hope I get some sort of massage saying your windows firewall has been updated just to give me peace of mind.