SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Navigation Map Marker Issue (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=200783)

Darojax 12-21-12 12:07 PM

Navigation Map Marker Issue

Ohoy! o7

I'm a dedicated fan of SH4 and of course the subsim.com website ^^ thanks for being here.

I've come across a small issue while playing SH4, it's regarding the Marker tool on the navigation map. In the stock manual it says the following:

"MAP NOTES
• With this tool you can place marks on the map. Each mark will have a generic
name when placed (Mark 1, Mark 2, etc).
• You can modify this name (18 characters max.) and attach a note (54 characters,
centred, max. 18 character
• You can delete marks."

I'm running with no map contact updates and when wanting to track multiple ships it would indeed be very handy if it was possible to add notes to the marks, which it says in the manual should be possible! Problem is, it doesn't say how to edit the mark notes! I've tried pressing all kinds of keys, and I've searched google for keywords on how to do this, but not been able to find anything on this!

So, that's why I'm writing this post, as I am sure that if it at all is possible the salty wolf that know the solution will be around these parts of the web. Thankful for any assistance!

sincerely

Daniel

IonicRipper 12-21-12 12:12 PM

I've been playing this game for over a year now and i wasn't even aware it was possible to do so!

I am also very interested in knowing how to do this. :yeah:

Gerald 12-21-12 01:08 PM

Welcome to SubSim Daniel!

:sunny: Och god jul till dej!

sharkbit 12-21-12 01:50 PM

That's been on a lot of people's wish lists for both SH3 and SH4.

I don't think it is possible to do that. I bet it was one of many things that Ubisoft thought was an excellent idea but ran out of time/money to implement in the game and had a deadline to meet but the manual was already printed and they left it in.

Of course, if it is possible I woud love to know how as well.

:)

razark 12-21-12 02:38 PM

Sadly, it is not possible. Don't read the manual.

CapnScurvy 12-21-12 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razark (Post 1980675)
Don't read the manual.

That's for sure! The manual tells us how to use the periscope lens hash marks (the Telemeter Divisions) which, when using the given formula, will give us range to target. Not hardly.

For one thing the "known" mast heights are inaccurate, some by as much as half the dimension they should be. You'll never get two plus two equals four when one of the numeric two's is a three.

Another, the game provides us with differently rendered Field of Views (depending on which resolution/aspect ratio you may use) resulting in inaccurate measurements when thinking one mark equals one degree at low magnification. They don't. The result is frustration when you bother to read the manual and realize something isn't right here.

Darojax 12-21-12 07:36 PM

Aah right, well that's too bad about the inaccuracies about the Marker and other things in the manual. Thanks for all the feedback. Still one of the most enjoyable games though! ^^

Pisces 12-22-12 11:41 AM

You should be able to modify the .map files in the (My) Documents\SH4 folderstructure, with notepad. It's just a text file. But no ingame method that I know of. So you need to save, modify and reload the savegame.

Darojax 12-22-12 11:51 AM

That is useful! Thankyou.

Gerald 12-22-12 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoktorRainbow (Post 1981200)
That is useful! Thankyou.

Lycka till Daniel,:salute: