SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Ahh, Aces of the Deep (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170593)

ryanglavin 06-03-10 09:17 PM

Ahh, Aces of the Deep

Anyone else miss this game? Thank God I still have my 8ft by 3ft poster and my copy :)

Sailor Steve 06-04-10 12:40 AM

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=141019

Kptlt Thomsen 06-20-10 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanglavin (Post 1410989)
Anyone else miss this game? Thank God I still have my 8ft by 3ft poster and my copy :)

Loved that grid map they had. Wish SH3 came with one like that. Miss my copy of AOD I used to have....

But then..how would I play it on this core 2 duo nowadays anyway?
:wah:

Robsoie 06-21-10 09:07 AM

Quote:

But then..how would I play it on this core 2 duo nowadays anyway?
With DOSBox your Aces of the Deep would work very nicely on your modern computer ;)

McHibbins 06-25-10 05:12 PM

And donīt forget the manual !!!! If I think at SH5īs.......:shifty:

Buddahaid 06-26-10 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robsoie (Post 1424566)
With DOSBox your Aces of the Deep would work very nicely on your modern computer ;)

The downside to my I7 and DosBox is the screen res. Full screen will corrupt the color pallette, and windowed is small but clear. :stare: The Dosox windowed res setting is ignored so I have to set my screen to the lowest res and color to enlarge the DosBox window.

Badger Finn 08-13-10 09:33 PM

Good ole Aces of the Deep a walk down memory lane when what you bought was what your thought with the added bonus it worked...well 95% bug free...

CLASSIC!

They dont make sims like that any more! The magic meal and the pirate patch guy dont stand up to accurate physics and accurate modelled historical events ...

Reinhard Hardegen 10-12-10 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kptlt Thomsen
Loved that grid map they had. Wish SH3 came with one like that. Miss my copy of AOD I used to have....
I have been working on a poster of this map, it will soon be completed, and is 23"X35". Ruffly 1 and a half times bigger than the AOD map. I will be getting it printed as soon as it is done.

Fish In The Water 04-07-11 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanglavin (Post 1410989)

Two copies here... Dos and Windows (Command)...

In many respects AOD was the greatest of them all. A terrific simulation whose primary flaw was being designed ten years too soon.

Fond memories all around! :sunny:

Howard313 04-07-11 01:58 PM

AOD was my first subsim. Ahh memories.

Missed out on the poster though :cry:

clayton 04-18-11 06:02 PM

Aces of the Deep and Red Baron. They don't make them like Dynamix anymore...

nikimcbee 04-18-11 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayton (Post 1646156)
Aces of the Deep and Red Baron. They don't make them like Dynamix anymore...

I never understood why the newer game companies have such a problem with doing games like RB and AotD. (the basic forula) You say "dynamic campaign" and they recoil like dracula. Too much time and talent required I guess.:dead:

Fish In The Water 04-22-11 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee (Post 1646199)
Too much time and talent required I guess.:dead:

Too much research for sure. Even the manuals looked like a major project to put together. A far cry from what we get today... :down:

FERdeBOER 04-22-11 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddahaid (Post 1428489)
The downside to my I7 and DosBox is the screen res. Full screen will corrupt the color pallette, and windowed is small but clear. :stare: The Dosox windowed res setting is ignored so I have to set my screen to the lowest res and color to enlarge the DosBox window.

I know you wrote this a year ago but maybe you can still need it... or anyone else...

In order to change the window mode resolution to the one you want you have to edit the config file. In my case, on Debian I have it on /home/me/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf

Then change:

Code:

windowresolution=800x600  (here the resolution you want)
output=opengl  (surface doesn't allow to select the resolution you want).

For full screen resolution maybe you can change this part:
Code:

fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original

I personally never tried this, I always play on window mode.

Seminole 09-02-11 12:30 PM

Actually I miss neither. I have AOD on my 133 Mhz DOS machine along with SWOTL and THF. I have CAOD on my Windows 95 machine.
When I get fed up with the pretty graphics and lousy, tiresome gameplay of latter day sims,I fade back to the golden days of PC gaming.