SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=325)
-   -   A short clip of my revell 1/72 VIIC/41 U boat (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=167231)

Castout 04-07-10 01:52 AM

A short clip of my revell 1/72 VIIC/41 U boat

I did a video on it some time ago but I felt the clip didn't do a good job showcasing the model as there was too much lighting on it.

So here it is for the enjoyment of any Silent Hunter players
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VBSI3MYG_Y

Some months ago I was feeling particularly brave and bored and decided to add some white wash to the deck, upper hull and some tiny splotches forming a band along the ballast fuel tanks.

Whether you like it or not please feel free to post comment on the youtube and or here.:salute:

SteamWake 04-07-10 11:43 AM

Nice job on the model.

Next time find a darker back drop. The white wall overwhelms the 'gain' on the digital camera and you loose alot of detail on the subject itself. You end up with a nice video of a white wall. ;)

Best would be a darker background with lighting directed at the subject itself. Maybe some grey or dark brown cloth.

conus00 04-07-10 01:20 PM

The model looks great.
Do you happen to have somewhere on the net actual gallery of pictures?
I'd love to see them.

Castout 04-07-10 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake (Post 1350995)
Nice job on the model.

Next time find a darker back drop. The white wall overwhelms the 'gain' on the digital camera and you loose alot of detail on the subject itself. You end up with a nice video of a white wall. ;)

Best would be a darker background with lighting directed at the subject itself. Maybe some grey or dark brown cloth.

Thanks for the advice. I notice the video is a little too dark. I'll try recording a better video next time. The thing is the wall looked great because it's so big on the background. My camera isn't good at capturing minute detail especially indoor. It's a 5 Megapixel cellphone camera. I'll try another recording when I got the time.
In January there was too much lighting on it:damn:

Castout 04-07-10 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conus00 (Post 1351130)
The model looks great.
Do you happen to have somewhere on the net actual gallery of pictures?
I'd love to see them.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of it. I took some pictures of it then but have since lost them(all left is what I used in my sig). And then I haven't added the white wash on the upper hull, deck and the white band on the ballast tank either.

SteamWake 04-07-10 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castout (Post 1351465)
It's a 5 Megapixel cellphone camera. I'll try another recording when I got the time.

Holy smokes in that case you did a great job... LOL I was thinking a hand held cam.

Yea when filming with a pinhole camera (which most phones are) the more light the better. Ouedoors on a light overcast day is ideal.

Just make sure the background is not lighter than the subject otherwise the 'gain' gets cranked down and the subject fades a bit.

Castout 04-07-10 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake (Post 1351532)
Holy smokes in that case you did a great job... LOL I was thinking a hand held cam.

Yea when filming with a pinhole camera (which most phones are) the more light the better. Ouedoors on a light overcast day is ideal.

Just make sure the background is not lighter than the subject otherwise the 'gain' gets cranked down and the subject fades a bit.

Uumm I'll try to get an outdoor clip next time. Cellphone camera sucks big time indoor. I tried recording near a window last time but it made the sub luminous in an ugly way LOL. Thanks for the advice :)