SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   God.Mode (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159935)

jimbob 01-05-10 06:12 PM

God.Mode

Haha, gotcha !

Bet you thought this was going to be about some religious stuff.

No way Jose, I saw this on other place and thought maybe
folks in here might be interested about this.

It's a sort of Control Panel file that has muchos cool stuff innit.

Quote:

Although its name suggests perhaps even grander capabilities, Windows enthusiasts are excited over the discovery of a hidden "GodMode" feature that lets users access all of the operating system's control panels from within a single folder.

By creating a new folder in Windows 7 and renaming it with a certain text string at the end, users are able to have a single place to do everything from changing the look of the mouse pointer to making a new hard-drive partition.

The trick is also said to work in Windows Vista, although some are warning that although it works fine in 32-bit versions of Vista, it can cause 64-bit versions of that operating system to crash.

To enter "GodMode," one need only create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options. I'm not sure it's my idea of playing God, but it is a handy way to get to all kinds of controls.

I've asked Microsoft for more details on the feature and how it came to be. But so far, Redmond is silent on the topic.

Sauce

:D

More sauce

:)

TarJak 01-05-10 06:36 PM

Interesting:hmmm:

ETR3(SS) 01-05-10 07:06 PM

And here I thought this was about Doom.

Sailor Steve 01-05-10 10:45 PM

I thought it was going to be about 'God's Eye View' in subsims. I was all set to point to the proper forums.:doh:

August 01-05-10 11:24 PM

Is this like one of those email hoaxes that tell you to delete some windows file because it's a virus that will destroy your computer?

CaptainHaplo 01-06-10 12:25 AM

August - you mean like that nasty "ntldr" file that seems to show up on all windows machines on the root of the OS drive?

***note - that file is NOT a virus, bug or anything else - but I have seen directions that swear it is and to delete it. DO NOT DELETE IT!***

August 01-06-10 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo (Post 1231222)
August - you mean like that nasty "ntldr" file that seems to show up on all windows machines on the root of the OS drive?

***note - that file is NOT a virus, bug or anything else - but I have seen directions that swear it is and to delete it. DO NOT DELETE IT!***

There was actually many of versions iirc. Some pretty harmless but others like the ones that told you to delete jdbgmgr.exe or the sulfnbk.exe could harm your computer.

jimbob 01-06-10 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 1231193)
Is this like one of those email hoaxes that tell you to delete some windows file because it's a virus that will destroy your computer?

No, this is not about deleting any files, more like creating a folder,
renaming it and having a file with Administrator Tool / Control Panel
shortcuts, there's just so many of them.

:D

Reece 01-06-10 03:35 AM

Well someone try it!!:yep:

Tarrasque 01-06-10 04:21 AM

It works!

Dowly 01-06-10 05:45 AM

Seems to work just fine, thanks jimbob. :salute:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...et/godmode.jpg

EDIT: Ah, this is very useful! I think it lists all the commands and stuff you before had to find thru the control panel menus. Very nice. :up:

antikristuseke 01-06-10 06:36 AM

Why dont those asshats at M$ include it by default? Why make their product less convenient to use?

jimbob 01-06-10 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antikristuseke (Post 1231322)
Why dont those asshats at M$ include it by default? Why make their product less convenient to use?

I agree.

I've been using a registry file for years that adds some shortcuts to
"Computer" on the desktop if I right-click on it:

http://i.imagehost.org/0114/MyPutaRC.jpg

Started using in Xp and the same idea works on Vista too, not sure about the Seven but
I spose it'll work since its pretty much the same than Vista I hear, only somewhat better.

They want almost 300€ in the local PC store for the Windows 7. :o

I guess Im gonna skip that unless I go crazy and buy new PC later this year.

SteamWake 01-06-10 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antikristuseke (Post 1231322)

Duhr... did you forget it was MicroSoft? :haha:

Oberon 01-06-10 11:46 AM

IDDQD