SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   New sub movie with Tom Cruise ! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158097)

Trool323 11-10-09 09:11 AM

New sub movie with Tom Cruise !

A WWII movie with Tom cruise as the captain..lol.:DL Maybe the captain of the wahoo or something..J/K ..No serious.. I Think I got everybody a bit there..hehe :03: We do need a new WWII submarine movie to come out though. I wish they would make one. My guess is they're afraid it will be a flop. The last new sub movie I can think of is U-571. I think it came out around 2000.:shifty:..

what with that crap,
trool323........

Sonarman 11-10-09 05:39 PM

Steven Spielberg at one point was heavily involved in making a movie based on Admiral Fluckey's book "Thunder Below" was put on the shelf due to the fact that Universal was developing (the crappy) U-571 at the same time.

from Yahoo movies on writer Shane Salerno...
"Schmidt was also pitching a submarine story, "Thunder Below" which Salerno convinced Schmidt to let him write. Both projects were ultimately stalled, but not before "A Season in Hell" was bought for mid-six figures and "Thunder Below" was greenlighted by Steven Spielberg for DreamWorks. "

And just to show how many movies get knocked back check this feature from the UK Independent newspaper from 1998 which includes Thunder Below, I think the only movie made on the list was the then titled Proteus which became "Below. It's a shame as it was probably the worst of the bunch listed, but that's Hollywood!

Let's hope Mr Spielberg "unshelves" the film someday as WWII American submariners certainly deserve a serious movie of "Das Boot" quality as a tribute to their heroic exploits.

***UPDATE***
Whilst Steven Spielberg has not taken Thunder Below down from the shelf yet he has announced literally hours ago a new 10 part "Band of Brothers" style series called "The Pacific" following the wartime experiences of three American GIs.

ekempey 11-12-09 03:20 PM

Duncan Jones is currently working a project which is a movie version of the book "Escape from the Deep" about the sinking of the USS Tang.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/01/...from-the-deep/

I haven't been able to find any new news on the film, though.

ETR3(SS) 11-12-09 07:24 PM

If you want a good movie at all, don't let hollywood do it. :haha:

Trool323 11-17-09 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 1202712)
If you want a good movie at all, don't let hollywood do it. :haha:

Agreed it should be a indie project with a lot of money to spend..:smug:

Platapus 11-17-09 08:21 PM

Rumour has it (Uboat.net) that some people are working on a movie about the U-156 and the Laconia Incident.

Could be good, could be bad. All depends on the director.

Sonarman 11-18-09 05:38 AM

Yes, indeed a three hour!! Laconia TV production is underway it's being developed by the BBC it has been written by the great British writer Alan Bleasdale (Boys from the Blackstuff / Monocled Mutineer / GBH). It will star amongst others Brian (original Hannibal Lecter) Cox and Lindsay Duncan. I believe they are using the still standing U-571 sets in Malta for the U-Boat interiors.

I'm actually happier with this as a TV drama rather than a movie, although the effects may suffer a little, I'm sure the quality of the story & character development will be much better than what Hollywood would dish out.

Trool323 12-19-09 02:24 AM

the Laconia TV production sounds interesting I will have to check that out..

Bribarian 12-19-09 05:54 AM

I'm surprised there aren't a lot more considering all the tales of WW2.

Most sub movies do quite well. I personally loved Das Boot, and enjoyed red october, crimson tide,

Which reminds me, was that harrison ford sub movie any good?

Sonarman 12-19-09 06:40 AM

Yes, the Harrison Ford/ Liam Neeson film is "K-19: the Widowmaker" it's a little slow in places but on the whole a good movie and you can probably find it in a bargain bin these days.

Sonarman 12-19-09 06:43 AM

U-Boat spotted in Capetown!!

Check out a the SAAF forum for a couple of shots of the U-Boat mockup used in Capetown Harbour for the fiming of the forthcoming 3 hour epic BBC drama "Laconia".
Flickr user Fixy also has some shots of the "U-Boat" at sea in his photo gallery

You can also read more about the movie over at the U-Boat.net forums

The BBC's official press release on the movie is here