SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Dragon Age.. Origins.. !! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157895)

SteamWake 11-02-09 09:23 PM

Dragon Age.. Origins.. !!

Due out tommorow...

Any thoughts on this title?

20 gig footprint :o

I got some houscleaning to do. :rock:

(woops sorry dident see the other DA thead)

Castout 11-03-09 02:59 AM

Tell me if it's good especially if it's real good. I don't want to miss anything spectacular from Bioware though so far the videos and screens don't impress me.:hmmm:

Arclight 11-03-09 08:41 AM

It's real good. :yep:

First review I saw; nothing but positive comments, except 1) buggy 2) low framerate. Keep in mind though it's the PS3 version, not surprised to hear about glitchy audio and low framerate. :-?

Dragon Age: Origins Review: Tripping The Blight Fantastic
Quote:

Hated

Bugs Aplenty: My time with the PlayStation 3 version of Dragon Age was not without troubles. In fact, my 60 or so hours in the game were plagued with annoying little glitches that, while not breaking the game completely, did hamper the experience. Some special combat animations were way off, with my character performing finishing blows in the air next to the boss I had just downed. Sound glitched frequently, leaving me watching a character's lips move while no words came. On a few occasions the screen would glitch when a character was speaking, showing broken geometry instead of the person talking. I also had issues with monsters dying and taking up to 30 seconds to register as dead, making me have to wait to loot bodies and in some cases delaying the completion of certain quests.

Perhaps the biggest bug I encountered was during the final battle, when I simply could not progress. BioWare suggested it was due to a monster I needed to kill falling through the world. I wound up having to load a previous save in order to complete the game. Luckily the game had autosaved just before the battle started, but it was definitely more frustration than I needed.

Chugga Chugga Frame Rate: Dragon Age is a pretty game, but when it really starts moving, things get ugly. With only a couple of characters on the screen things aren't too bad, leaning towards the high 20's frame rate-wise, but when you're in a big battle or a crowd scene, things dip into the middle to high teens. Mind you I am guestimating here...it's not like I have some magical PS3 FPS tool, but the dip is definitely noticeable
Have to wait 'till the 6th, but expect some impressions after that. ;)

Ilpalazzo 11-03-09 01:58 PM

I've never even heard of this game, but it's all up in my face on steam. Couldn't help but notice this, ""Dragon Age is the RPG of the decade." - PC Gamer UK (94/100)"

Really? 'THE' of the 'DECADE'? Of all rpg games released this decade, this is THE one? Weird, this game must be awesome.

Seems to be on sale on steam. If anybody gets it, please let us know why it is THE RPG of the DECADE.

Arclight 11-03-09 02:08 PM

Because it is awesome. :O:

Name 1 developer who could produce a better, original RPG? Only one I know is Bethesda.

But yeah, let's ignore the marketing speak and let's just say it's gonna be very good, possibly one of the best.

Castout 11-03-09 07:13 PM

Bioware is the reason! They've produced arts such as Knights of the Old repblic and Mass effect.

Though the screenshots don't impress me in Dragon age: origins I'm willing to pick it up it the gameplay is worth it.

I'll see to try to get some PC reviews.

What I can't miss is their The Old Republic.:)

kiwi_2005 11-04-09 12:25 AM

Looks very good besides its bioware so expect a long story to be told, a classy easy to use editor and plenty of mods to come out later. My favorite games are RPG's so i will be getting this game but much later on though as i'm playing to many games as it is. Need to finish some first. I hate having half finished games on my hdd.

Dowly 11-04-09 03:40 AM

Hmm... it seems to be one of those games that doesnt take what is good in other games of the genre and build the game on that, but rather another from scracth build game with only the "in-house" ideas in it.

For example, there is moral decisions you need to take, yet, it doesnt have any affect to anyone else than those NPC's that are directly related to the case in hand. Why not make it like it was in Oblivion? Would've been much better. :hmmm:

Anyroad, I'll propably check this out, havent had a good game to play in ages. :yep:

Dowly 11-04-09 11:50 AM

Uh oh... the first impressions from ppl who have the game on PC are a tad worrying. Lots of reports of very bad stability issues (5-10min into game -> CTD). :doh:

Arclight 11-04-09 01:45 PM

Isn't that always the case? :-?

Most of them either don't mantain their machine properly, or are trying to run it on a GF6200. :nope:

At any rate, my game unlocks in 5 hours, I'll swallow those words if it happens to me too. ;)

Dowly 11-04-09 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 1199053)
Most of them either don't mantain their machine properly.

Nonsense. I havent defragged in over a year, havent dusted in maybe six months, my cooling is ****e and I have tons of useless crap littering my registry aswell as my HD and I have no problems on running any of my games.

Game problems relating to any of those I mentioned is just a myth nowadays. Everyone keeps saying it, but nobody actually witnesses it. :yep:

Arclight 11-04-09 02:14 PM

Proper maintenance is an integral part of running a gaming rig. :smug:

A fragmented page-file, for example, can really screw stability. I can tell you that from experience. ;)

Improper uninstall of critical drivers before updating can also cause mayhem. Not talking about dusting the thing or some stray references in the registry, there are plenty of other things that can cause instability.

Dowly 11-04-09 02:30 PM

Like I said, my PC's a mess and everything runs as they did when I got the rig (forgot to mention and thanks for pointing it, I NEVER uninstall previous drivers, I just install on top of them :O:). But then again, maybe I'm just lucky when it comes to my PC as I have never ever broke anything from any of my PCs either. :hmmm:

Spike88 11-04-09 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 1198414)
It's real good. :yep:

First review I saw; nothing but positive comments, except 1) buggy 2) low framerate. Keep in mind though it's the PS3 version, not surprised to hear about glitchy audio and low framerate. :-?

Dragon Age: Origins Review: Tripping The Blight Fantastic

Have to wait 'till the 6th, but expect some impressions after that. ;)

If the Ps3 version wasn't on par with the other 2 versions they should of just delayed it like they originally were planning. :down:

Ilpalazzo 11-04-09 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 1199072)
Proper maintenance is an integral part of running a gaming rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1199081)
Like I said, my PC's a mess and everything runs as they did when I got the rig (forgot to mention and thanks for pointing it, I NEVER uninstall previous drivers, I just install on top of them :O:). But then again, maybe I'm just lucky when it comes to my PC as I have never ever broke anything from any of my PCs either. :hmmm:

I agree with both of you. Knowing how the computer is doing and correcting any deficit (can't believe I can't think of a better word) is not necessary, but it doesn't hurt either. It either does nothing or improves performance. You can just run a benchmark when you get all yo **** together. Every so many months, run that same benchmark and you can easily see if your performance has been affected.

Then again, you can get away with a lot before anything actually becomes a problem for you. And with a newer computer, I'd be surprised if lax maintenance affected your performance noticeably anyway. The only thing Dowly might have to worry about is degraded performance and load times if his drive gets fragmented to hell. And maybe one day he will get a crappy driver related problem that might require uninstalling a driver. Either way it's a one time fix that lasts a long time. Sure there are other things to consider, but I don't want to drag this on.

For some, their maintenance routines are a necessary preventative measure (and hell they enjoy it). For others, its just something to do when things seem like they aren't working properly. Sometimes, it really is just the game's fault. Fault for not being more compatible or just being a buggy pos.

I want Dowly to defrag his computer...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 1199053)
At any rate, my game unlocks in 5 hours, I'll swallow those words if it happens to me too. ;)

Looking forward to first and later impressions if you'd care to share them.