SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   India launches nuclear submarine (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154184)

Onkel Neal 07-26-09 01:16 PM

India launches nuclear submarine

Very impressive.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ine/index.html

Quote:

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh launched the country's first locally built nuclear-powered submarine on Sunday.
Manmohan Singh, center, honors a war victory in New Delhi on Sunday, the same day he launched a sub.

"Today, we join a select group of five nations who possess the capability to build a nuclear-powered submarine," Singh declared in his speech at the eastern naval base of Visakhapatnam.

Although he billed the submarine as an outcome of a public-private partnership, the Indian leader did mention Russia in his address.
"I would also like to express our appreciation to our Russian friends for their consistent and invaluable cooperation, which symbolizes the close strategic partnership that we enjoy with Russia," Singh remarked.

Kloef 07-26-09 03:02 PM

Wonderfull news,Pakistan will soon follow and we have another factor to an allready too complex stalemate:hmmm:.

As far as i'm concerned these countries dont really contribute to world stability and should not be allowed to have nuclear power or weapons as long as most of their people are forced to live like animals in their own garbitch,goes for China too..its an international disgrace to human kind.

Next step is SSBN's....:oChina allready has them.

As far as impressive,no just plain crazy and dangerous..the power is shifting to the wrong people.

Task Force 07-26-09 03:16 PM

Yea some countrys shouldnt have nuclear power.... But I guess they should feel good they made there own nuke boat...

Raptor1 07-26-09 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloef (Post 1140477)
Next step is SSBN's....:oChina allready has them.

This is an SSBN, or it was last I heard

Kloef 07-26-09 03:32 PM

Thats even more worrying....i start to think about Pakistan sabotage operations and technical accidents..

From the link:

"We do not have any aggressive designs, nor do we seek to threaten anyone. We seek an external environment in our region and beyond that is conducive to our peaceful development and the protection of our value systems," Singh said.

Who are they fooling?Non-aggresive design?Clowns on a nuke boat travelling the world to bring peace?

The rest just doesnt make any sense whatsoever,we seek an external environment in our region?Shangri-La?

The 'and beyond' is the part to be worried about...

Oberon 07-26-09 04:00 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ogy_vessel.JPG

Oberon 07-26-09 04:08 PM

Reminds me of the first stage Soviet boomers, the Hotels and the Golfs, however more advanced naturally because of the era. Small missile loadout and small size.
But, that's all India needs at the moment.
And with naval purchase relations between India and Russia at an all time low, perhaps they'll start looking towards other nations for their boomer needs, but who? I can't see the US helping, the UK would probably have more red tape than submarine, likewise other EU nations, and India and China aren't exactly best of friends so I guess that just leaves Russia. :hmmm:

Kazuaki Shimazaki II 07-27-09 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloef (Post 1140496)
Thats even more worrying....i start to think about Pakistan sabotage operations and technical accidents..

From the link:

"We do not have any aggressive designs, nor do we seek to threaten anyone. We seek an external environment in our region and beyond that is conducive to our peaceful development and the protection of our value systems," Singh said.

Who are they fooling?Non-aggresive design?Clowns on a nuke boat travelling the world to bring peace?

In comparison to an aircraft carrier (especially the type owned only by the United States), any kind of submarine is a highly defensive item.

TarJak 07-27-09 06:57 PM

From my reading it appears to be an attempt to start gaining some kind of parity with China in terms of capability. This is only one boat against the dozens China has, but I think the message it sends to China is very clear.

TLAM Strike 07-28-09 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II (Post 1140801)
In comparison to an aircraft carrier (especially the type owned only by the United States), any kind of submarine is a highly defensive item.

The idea of using submarines for defense kinda whent out of style in the late 30's if not in WWI. Subs are best used by sending them on offensive patrols off hostile shores to sink enemy ships or strike at land targets. Trying to use them any other way "on defense" is just a waste of a submarine.

While the sub is the pefered weapon of the lesser naval power just using them to defend your own coast only leaves your country isolated.

The best defense is a good offense as they say.

PeriscopeDepth 07-28-09 07:31 PM

Makes sense for India. One of the world's largest democracies sandwiched between China and Pakistan. Sea based deterrent was inevitable.

PD

ekempey 07-29-09 12:31 AM

I wonder how quiet it is...are we talking Han class quiet (which is not), or are we talking type 93 quiet compared to the Chinese subs of course.

FIREWALL 07-29-09 12:35 AM

Let's just hope they didn't follow the Russian's spec's on lead shielding. :haha: