SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   What's a normal CPU idle usage percentage (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153381)

Castout 07-03-09 01:18 AM

What's a normal CPU idle usage percentage

With Vista x64 with sidebar activated and non moving destop background(picture only) I get 0-12% CPU activity at idle.

Is this normal? I think it's a bit too high it should be nearer to 0%?

Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz
8Gb DD@ 800MHz
NVidia 9800GTX+ 512Mb.

I've scanned with both of my AV and found nothing.

Task Force 07-03-09 01:25 AM

im usualy gettin 0, and maby 5 at max. (e 8400 here) the sidebar could cause it at times I guess. got anything runnin in the task bar.

Raptor1 07-03-09 01:29 AM

I'm usually on 0% with some jumping to 1%-4%

By idle, do you mean with nothing running in the background too?

Task Force 07-03-09 01:31 AM

:hmmm:I think hese useing those little gadgets on the sidebar, they could be takeing up some cpu power at times.

Castout 07-03-09 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Task Force (Post 1128034)
im usualy gettin 0, and maby 5 at max. (e 8400 here) the sidebar could cause it at times I guess. got anything runnin in the task bar.

The only thing running on the task bar is the clock without the second needle though and the CPU and RAM real time monitor

Task Force 07-03-09 01:33 AM

hmm... you looked at task manager. some windows program might be running.

Castout 07-03-09 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor1 (Post 1128035)
I'm usually on 0% with some jumping to 1%-4%

By idle, do you mean with nothing running in the background too?

No I have my AV and Internet security suite running

Raptor1 07-03-09 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castout (Post 1128040)
No I have my AV and Internet security suite running

Hmm, that along with inherent Vista system-loadiness could explain it, I'd say that's probably normal then

Castout 07-03-09 01:51 AM

Yea I have loads of processes and tons of services.

I believe my Vista is responsible for making sure every GPS satellite is in their correct position and adjust them when necessary :nope:
Because it must be that or I can't explain for the tons of services and loads of processes.

Just that I'm a bit paranoid since a friend told me about the new salinity virus which could infect all exe without both of my AV noticing or that virus which corrupt registry every other minute also without my both AVs able to notice it.
So I'm wondering what else get and has gotten through....

Castout 07-03-09 02:24 AM

I get lower CPU percentage with the internet off. Though those figure I posted was recorded without any internet traffic or activity.

And the task manager CPU monitoring reports a lower CPU usage than my sidebar CPU monitoring which seems to be more sensitive and active.

With the internet off I get mostly 0-2% CPU usage which sometimes jump to 5%. Guess everything is alright.

Task Force 07-03-09 02:25 AM

Ive heard that internet explorer can use up CPU power... (Thow it isnt too much.)

Good night all.

CaptainHaplo 07-04-09 09:52 AM

Man ya'll are running something wierd in the background.

Granted - I am on Win7 - but I have a vista box and its normal no apps running idle is between 95-99%.

Remember - idle is a process where basically - the machine does nothing. If your running at say 12% - your CPU is working 88% of the time. If you don't have any applications that you know of going - or maybe just one or 2 - then they are either extremely intensive - or you have alot of crap in the background.

At desktop, with no user apps running, your memory usage should be fairly small, and your idle should be at least 90% or above. If its not, start killing non essential background tasks. So many people have so much gunk they wonder why their machines are slow - and often its stuff in the background.