SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Comments to SUBSIM Review (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Searching for a mod in download section (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150467)

Contact 04-10-09 03:24 AM

Searching for a mod in download section

It's a bit confusing now to look for a mod you want to download. Since now there are subfolders on which you have to click to be able to see what kind of mods are inside.

It takes more time also. Not sure about the others but I was more satisfied in seeing all mods in one long single list..

Previously you could also see what new mods has been added just by looking at the top of every category. Now it's a trouble..

Sailor Steve 04-10-09 11:43 AM

There aren't very many sub-categories, and they are devoted to specifics like skins and ships. Would you like to have just mods, with everything for every game in one huge list?

Laufen zum Ziel 04-10-09 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1081436)
There aren't very many sub-categories, and they are devoted to specifics like skins and ships. Would you like to have just mods, with everything for every game in one huge list?

Well said SS.

Madox58 04-10-09 05:05 PM

I felt the old way was a PITA.
It took someone updateing it which was
never as fast as we would have liked.
(Blast you real life!)
:nope:

Plus the links could and would
(Just when you really needed them!)
go 'POOF'
:o

Change for changes sake is worthless.
This change is Gold!!
:yeah:

mookiemookie 04-10-09 08:38 PM

I like the new system. The search function is your friend. :yep:

Contact 04-11-09 03:59 AM

Ok, when you click on SH3 there isn't sorted mods which are ment to be for stock and which for GWX 3.0. It's all in one place and is messy..

And search function helps only if you know what you're looking for :)

Sharkley 04-11-09 09:05 AM

The new system is Good, but always room for improvements.

I am sure as time goes on the level of detail will increase as will the overall organization.

The download section is only a few weeks old

Shantyman 04-11-09 10:33 AM

I like the new system. It makes you go through the downloads by category. If they weree just all listed together I think it would be difficuult to pick out the mods you are interested!

A great asset to the group in my opinion!

Contact 04-11-09 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shantyman (Post 1081958)
I like the new system. It makes you go through the downloads by category. If they weree just all listed together I think it would be difficuult to pick out the mods you are interested!

A great asset to the group in my opinion!

If you remember our old list of mods it was sorted in category's as well. The wise side of it was you could find everything you need in one list without switching from one window to another.

FIREWALL 04-11-09 11:39 AM

Some mods haven't made it to the new system yet.

Others in the old mod forum (SHIII) lead to deadend.

Laufen zum Ziel 04-11-09 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contact (Post 1081820)
Ok, when you click on SH3 there isn't sorted mods which are ment to be for stock and which for GWX 3.0. It's all in one place and is messy..

And search function helps only if you know what you're looking for :)

Most of us know what we are looking for...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...45/wolfns8.gif

Contact 04-11-09 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laufen zum Ziel (Post 1082037)
Most of us know what we are looking for...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...45/wolfns8.gif

Even when you know the mod but can't remember how it is named ?

Sailor Steve 04-11-09 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contact (Post 1081820)

We discussed the possibility of having a separate section for different supermods, but then decided that having 'Graphics Mods for GWX 2.1', 'Sound Mods for NYGM 1.7', 'Gameplay Mods for WAC' and 'Other Mods for RUB' would be even messier. We've asked modders to say what supermods their new mods are for in the titles, but going beyond that would be a nightmare for us and for you.

Quote:

Even when you know the mod but can't remember how it is named ?
The key to that is to just ask. There will always be somebody who knows what it is and will say so. Even "I wish there was a mod that did this"-type questions usually get answered.

Contact 04-12-09 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1082086)
We discussed the possibility of having a separate section for different supermods, but then decided that having 'Graphics Mods for GWX 2.1', 'Sound Mods for NYGM 1.7', 'Gameplay Mods for WAC' and 'Other Mods for RUB' would be even messier. We've asked modders to say what supermods their new mods are for in the titles, but going beyond that would be a nightmare for us and for you.

I think it is not necessary to start sorting all supermods in categorys at once. It would be enough to begin from GWX, since this supermod is most popular we have. I would recommend to exclude stock Sh3 mods from GWX mods for a starter.

Why do we have to leave a mess in our download section when we can make it more comfortable to use ? :cool:

Onkel Neal 04-12-09 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contact (Post 1081257)
It's a bit confusing now to look for a mod you want to download. Since now there are subfolders on which you have to click to be able to see what kind of mods are inside.

It takes more time also. Not sure about the others but I was more satisfied in seeing all mods in one long single list..

Previously you could also see what new mods has been added just by looking at the top of every category. Now it's a trouble..

You want me to change it back :O:

We're always open to improving the system, but you know, it's not possible to please all the people all the time.