SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Comments to SUBSIM Review (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   "McCain for President" advertisements (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=135487)

castorp345 04-20-08 07:12 PM

"McCain for President" advertisements

y'know, I understand the need for SubSim to use advertisments to generate revenue to maintain the site. np. just fine.

but do they have to be political?

personally, i'm a little put-off by having this sort of political bias "in my face" (as it were) everytime i want to read my favorite forums.

it's bad enough that the mainstream media is so overcooked with this, albeit watershed, election... but does it have to seep into my hobby too??

i've got no beef with anyone's personal political views--it is a free country after all--but i'd really prefer to not have to endure the endorsement of any of the candidates as "punishment" for my taking an interest in the subsim genre. (ie it's not just McCain's ads here i'm taking issue with, but would equally be bothered by those of Billery or Barack Bin Laden.)

i realize of course that the "powers that be" here at subsim are going to do as they see fit in this regard and, i suppose, in the final analysis it really is a trivial issue, but i'd still like to register my complaint and protest against this sort of gratuitous politicization in a space where, imho, it has no relevance, bearing, or "useful" purpose other than to annoy.

:nope:

[/rant]

cheers
hc

CCIP 04-20-08 07:44 PM

Just curious - where did you see them? I'm sure not seeing any of these, so it must be coming from google ads or the like throwing them at the target audience. :hmm:

castorp345 04-20-08 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCIP
Just curious - where did you see them? I'm sure not seeing any of these, so it must be coming from google ads or the like throwing them at the target audience. :hmm:

the one i'm looking at now is to the right of the subsim logo at the top of the page and above the shells of fury ad.
:-?

CCIP 04-21-08 12:11 AM

Ok, yea, blame google for sure then. I see an ad for direct2drive sales of SH4 and a "play simulation games" link.

I'm sure Neal can do something about this though. I agree, it's in poor taste for the purposes of this site.

Kapitan_Phillips 04-21-08 04:24 AM

Frau_Phillips has a problem with that too, but I was trying to explain to her that those advertisements change based on the content of the page you are viewing. If you open a thread about say, Obama and Clinton, you'll get Obama and Clinton advertisements. If its a thread about Timbuktu, you'll get an ad for cheap airfares to Timbuktu.

Subsim isnt about promoting one view or the other, so I shouldnt worry too much about it. :up:

castorp345 04-21-08 07:04 AM

thanks for the responses, guys.

i'm indeed heartened to know that this isn't something intended by subsim and that the prevailing spirit of the hobby here is still one divorced from politics.
:up:

(well... real-world politics at any rate... "modder politics" is another matter as you gentlemen, i'm sure, know all too well in having to moderate some of our oh-so-lively discussions around here... at least there are no banner ads for some of the "competing" mod package "positions"... yet... )
;)

thanks again and cheers
hc

Stealth Hunter 04-22-08 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitan_Phillips
Frau_Phillips has a problem with that too, but I was trying to explain to her that those advertisements change based on the content of the page you are viewing. If you open a thread about say, Obama and Clinton, you'll get Obama and Clinton advertisements. If its a thread about Timbuktu, you'll get an ad for cheap airfares to Timbuktu.

Subsim isnt about promoting one view or the other, so I shouldnt worry too much about it. :up:

Why is it that after one month of viewing the site, the only ANIMATED ad on the site is for John McCain? Entering a thread about Obama or Clinton will bring up an ad... but it's not animated.

CDR Resser 04-22-08 09:35 PM

Frankly, I'm TIRED of seeing the ads period. I don't care where they are. This has been one of the most Shakespearian primary seasons in my memory "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
I come to subsim to get away from all that nonsense.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Kapitan_Phillips 04-23-08 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDR Resser
Frankly, I'm TIRED of seeing the ads period. I don't care where they are. This has been one of the most Shakespearian primary seasons in my memory "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
I come to subsim to get away from all that nonsense.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Well, if you're willing to pay a monthly fee to help keep the servers up, all the power to you ;)

nikimcbee 04-23-08 10:58 AM

Well, look at the bright side, we could have a PBS style website. I personally love the ads for the arabic dating service.:up:

Today's post was brought to you by the letter: U

AVGWarhawk 04-23-08 03:05 PM

Now that was the democratic way handle this issue......oh never mind......:rotfl:

STEED 04-23-08 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee
Well, look at the bright side, we could have a PBS style website. I personally love the ads for the arabic dating service.:up:

You dirty old man. :lol:

Onkel Neal 04-23-08 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castorp345

personally, i'm a little put-off by having this sort of political bias "in my face" (as it were) everytime i want to read my favorite forums.

it's bad enough that the mainstream media is so overcooked with this, albeit watershed, election... but does it have to seep into my hobby too??

i realize of course that the "powers that be" here at subsim are going to do as they see fit in this regard and, i suppose, in the final analysis it really is a trivial issue, but i'd still like to register my complaint and protest against this sort of gratuitous politicization in a space where, imho, it has no relevance, bearing, or "useful" purpose other than to annoy.

:nope:

[/rant]

cheers
hc

No bias here, the ads are served up randomly. We don't have anything to do with which ads appear.

Sailor Steve 04-23-08 09:14 PM

I guess people can be upset if they want. I've never even noticed the ads.

FIREWALL 04-23-08 09:48 PM

Did a test in SH4 mods forum and NO ads. :D