SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Canada's Battle on The St. Lawrence (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=105045)

Captain Norman 02-02-07 10:31 PM

Canada's Battle on The St. Lawrence

Yesterday, I had the great honor of going downtown to the National War Museum here in Ottawa at the National War Museum, to sit in a lecture by an American-Canadian author about the Battle of the St. Lawrence. For those of you who don't know, German u-boats entered the Gulf of St. Lawrence around the Gaspe coastline of Quebec, and entered the mouth of the river itself to sink shipping, and landing spies in Canada. I also had the oppurtunity to visit the museum's new exhibit about the battle, and it is quite interesting as at school, we don't learn about the Battle of The St. Lawrence, mainly because no u-boats were ever sunk in it. Ive talked to my teachers about it, but they said they find no reason to add it to the curriculum. I suggest for anyone who lives in Ontario, or who has the oppurtunity some point to visit Ottawa, pay a visit to the National War Museum and see the Battle of the St. Lawrence exhibit, you will be educated on a very interesting battle, one in which many Canadian's lost their lives to Nazi Germany's u-boats.

CCIP 02-02-07 11:20 PM

:o

Why did I not know about this?

I have to come in for this, for sure.

Captain Norman 02-02-07 11:38 PM

:O I forgot u lived in Ottawa too! Damn go check out the exhibit its really good.

Bort 02-03-07 04:33 PM

That's a neat historical tidbit!
On a side note, I have had the oppritunity to visit both the old and new Canadian war museums and the I've always been impressed. That new building is a real masterpiece! Now if only the US could get a giant all-encompassing war museum on the Mall in DC:hmm:

Captain Norman 02-03-07 09:29 PM

True, but u guys have an excellent Air and Space Museum which i'd die to see.

Mush Martin 02-04-07 07:38 AM

about the battle of the st lawrence

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Norman
Yesterday, I had the great honor of going downtown to the National War Museum here in Ottawa at the National War Museum, to sit in a lecture by an American-Canadian author about the Battle of the St. Lawrence. For those of you who don't know, German u-boats entered the Gulf of St. Lawrence around the Gaspe coastline of Quebec, and entered the mouth of the river itself to sink shipping, and landing spies in Canada. I also had the oppurtunity to visit the museum's new exhibit about the battle, and it is quite interesting as at school, we don't learn about the Battle of The St. Lawrence, mainly because no u-boats were ever sunk in it. Ive talked to my teachers about it, but they said they find no reason to add it to the curriculum. I suggest for anyone who lives in Ontario, or who has the oppurtunity some point to visit Ottawa, pay a visit to the National War Museum and see the Battle of the St. Lawrence exhibit, you will be educated on a very interesting battle, one in which many Canadian's lost their lives to Nazi Germany's u-boats.

its really well covered in "The far distant ships" by Joseph schull
if you can find a copy.
MM