SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

Cyborg322 10-29-17 10:38 AM

@ Kevinsue

RE : RAOBF

"It would be interesting to find out if this RAOBF mod is still available. I've been looking for something exactly like this to reduce the brightness during low light attacks. This is the most realistic version that I have seen."

Agreed, the Mechanical Effect looks the part, Very Nice . Is it fully functional/Accurate ? does it reflect any historical component ?

Simon

TOY 10-29-17 10:56 AM

missing phosphorescent graticule

Hi to all,

(At first... my english is terrible, so plz don't mind errors etc.... I hope you'll understand wh I mean)

I have a request \ suggestion for TWOS, I notice that the periscope graticule, both attack and observation, don't have the "night" green illumination.This seems not historical correct, I found some tecnical reports from the capturing of the U-570 about the periscope graticule:

"The graticule is illuminated by luminous material carried in glass tubes around the edge of the graticule. The illumination begins to show on the graticule after about 12 seconds application of the eye to the eyepiece in the dark, and after about 3 minutes the divisions can be distinguished. The numbers cannot be read."

Now the question... It is possible to correct \ upgrade the graticule with properly "simulated" green illumination during the night time? (or by adding custom button \ switch).

(I know about the HUD options, filters etc... but these feature involve only the cross, not the graticule scale etc...)

Thanks in advance for your replay \ suggestion ecc...

Cyborg322 10-29-17 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOY (Post 2520884)
Hi to all,

(At first... my english is terrible, so plz don't mind errors etc.... I hope you'll understand wh I mean)

I have a request \ suggestion for TWOS, I notice that the periscope graticule, both attack and observation, don't have the "night" green illumination.This seems not historical correct, I found some tecnical reports from the capturing of the U-570 about the periscope graticule:

"The graticule is illuminated by luminous material carried in glass tubes around the edge of the graticule. The illumination begins to show on the graticule after about 12 seconds application of the eye to the eyepiece in the dark, and after about 3 minutes the divisions can be distinguished. The numbers cannot be read."

Now the question... It is possible to correct \ upgrade the graticule with properly "simulated" green illumination during the night time? (or by adding custom button \ switch).

(I know about the HUD options, filters etc... but these feature involve only the cross, not the graticule scale etc...)

Thanks in advance for your replay \ suggestion ecc...

Hi
TOY :Kaleun_Salute:

Have you tried tweaking the RGB with the filters? ( By hovering and Scrolling over them) I've found I can get the Image close(ish) to NV. The Contrast is still not as much as I'd like tho.

P.S Your English is fine well explained.
Vecko's your man for the other suggestions

Simon

TOY 10-29-17 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg322 (Post 2520890)
Hi
TOY :Kaleun_Salute:

Have you tried tweaking the RGB with the filters? ( By hovering and Scrolling over them) I've found I can get the Image close(ish) to NV. The Contrast is still not as much as I'd like tho.

P.S Your English is fine well explained.

Simon

hi, yep I tried, but the effect is not the same as "real" situation. Historically speaking, the periscope filters was real used to enhance the visual, this is the original report from the capturing of the U-570:

Colour Glasses

19). Two colour glasses are provided which can be introduced singly or together near the focal plane of the eyepiece. One of the glasses is a bright orange and the other a very deep neutral. The neutral glass had the appearance of being a lightly metallisied glass"

my bad english... let's go funny...

Of course, using the color-correction-filter the graticule becomes visible, but there is a big difference with a correct "simulated green lighting" of the graticule with scales and number readable...

gap 10-29-17 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinsue (Post 2520625)
Just wasted my FAT1 torpedoes practicing on an allied convoy because I intended to refit at Pantelleria island in the Mediterranean Sea but guess what? They didn't have any fuel or torpedoes to give me. :nope: I forgot that Vecko had removed the player's abilities to take provision (aka torpedo and fuel) in every "blue" coastal harbour. Only historically correct bases will be able to support U-Boat operations.... Is there a listing somewhere of the friendly bases that support u-boat refits?

Haha....I should have googled it first! :oops: Red dots are historic u-boat bases. Well...Salamis isn’t on the map...the nearest port is Piraeus so I still don’t know where to get some ammo!

http://i66.tinypic.com/2nibdvq.jpg

Interesting question. Pantelleria never was a submarine base, so Vecko was right in removing it, along with many other harbors, from the list of Mediterranean ports that we can refit from.
Cagliari (Sardinia), Naples (Campania), Messina and Augusta (Sicily) and Leros (South Aegean, Greece), were Reggia Marina submarine bases though. Out of them, due to its position (at the center of the Mediterranean, at the intersection between the Tyrrhenian and the Ionian Sea, and about equidinstant from the Italian bases of La Spezia and Pola), Messina, though officially not being an U-boat base, was of key importance to the German war effort in the Mediterranean, especially in the first year (from '43 on, after Operation Torch and the Allied invasion of North Africa, Sicily became unsafe as it came into the range of Allied air raids).
Matter-of-factly, from December '41 to December '42, there are at least 22 recorded U-boat visits in Messina:
  1. U-562, coming from Brest (1st U-Fl.) and bound for Pola (29th U-Fl), on December 6th, 1941 made a quick stop in Messina, where she embarked fresh torpedoes.

2. U-557, coming from Lorient (1st U-Fl.) and bound for ? (recently assigned to the 29th U-Fl, the U-boat was sunk during this patrol; looking at her last known positons before the sinking, she would have probably ended the patrol in Salamis or in Pola), made a 2-day stopover in Messina, from December 7th to December 9th, 1941.

3. U-652, coming from Lorient (3rd U-Fl.) and bound for La Spezia (29th U-Fl), made a 2-day stopover in Messina, from December 12th to December 14th, 1941.

4. U-77, coming from Lorient (7th U-Fl.) and bound for Salamis (23rd U-Fl), made a 2-day stopover in Messina, from December 19th to December 21th, 1941.

5. U-83, coming from Brest (1st U-Fl.) and bound for Salamis (23rd U-Fl), made a 2-day stopover in Messina, from December 23rd to December 25th, 1941.

6. U-74, coming from St. Nazaire (7th U-Fl.) and bound for La Spezia (29th U-Fl), made a 3-day stopover in Messina, from December 24th to December 27th, 1941.

7. U-573, coming from St. Nazaire (3rd U-Fl.) briefly stopped in Messina on December 27th, 1941, before ending her 2nd patrol three days later in Pola and being assigned there to the 29th U-Fl.

8. U-577, coming from St. Nazaire (7th U-Fl.) and bound for ? (recently assigned to the 29th U-Fl, the U-boat was sunk during this patrol; looking at her last known positons before the sinking, she would have probably ended the patrol in Salamis or in Pola), made a 11-day long stopover in Messina from December 27th, 1941 to January 7th, 1942.
  9. U-133, coming from St. Nazaire (7th U-Fl.) and bound for Salamis (23rd U-Fl.), made a 3-day stopover in Messina from December 29th, 1941 to January 1st, 1942.

10. From January 19th to January 25th, 1942, during her 2nd patrol whose start/end port was the U-boat base of La Spezia, U-375 (29th U-Fl.) made a 6-day stopover in Messina.

11. U-73, coming from St. Nazaire (7th U-Fl.) and bound to La Spezia (29th U-Fl.), made a 11-day stopover in Messina, from January 20th to January 31st, 1942.

12. From January 22nd to January 25th, 1942, during her 4th patrol whose start/end port was the U-boat base of La Spezia, U-431 (29th U-Fl.) made a 3-day stopover in Messina.

13. U-561, coming from Brest (1st U-Fl.) and bound for Pola (23rd U-Fl.), made a 4-day stopover in Messina from January 22nd to January 26th, 1942.

14. On February 8th, 1942, during her 5th patrol whose start/end port was the U-boat base of La Spezia, U-205 (29th U-Fl.) stopped briefly in Messina.

15. On Aprile 4th, 1942, during her 6th patrol whose start/end port was the U-boat base of La Spezia, the aforementioned U-205 (29th U-Fl.) stopped briefly in Messina.

16. U-331 (29th U-Fl.), coming from Salamis and bound for La Spezia, stopped 5 days in Messina from May 21st to May 25th, 1942, where she underwent repairs from damage she had suffered previously during her patrol.
  17. The aforementioned U-561 (23rd U-Fl.), coming from Pola and bound for La Spezia, made a 7-day stopover in Messina from June 25th to July 2nd, 1942.

18. The same U-561, stopped briefly in Messina between 11 and 12 September, 1942, during U-boat's 9th patrol (patrol start/ending port: La Spezia).

19. U-559 (29th U-Fl.), coming from Salamis and bound for ? (probably the same port where the patrol was started from, but the boat was sunk before she could end her patrol), made an 8-day stopover in Messina from September 21th to September 29th, 1942.

20. The aforementioned U-77 (29th U-Fl.), coming from Pola and bound for La Spezia, briefly stopped in Messina between October 29th and October 30th, 1942.

21. U-371 (29th U-Fl.), coming from Pola and bound for La Spezia, made a 3-day stopover in Messina from December 4th to December 7th, 1942.

22. Again U-561, coming from La Spezia and bound for Pola, made a 5-day stopover in Messina from December 18th to December 23rd, 1942.

If you can read Spanish, u-historia.com has fairly detailed patrol reports for each boat.

Summing up, out of 22 recorded visits:
  • 11, from early December 41 to late January 42, were by U-boats that had just crossed Gibraltar and were bound either for La Spezia, Pola or Salamis.

• 5, from late January 42 to mid September of the same year, were by U-boats who had started/ended their patrol in La Spezia, on the way to/from their operation areas off the coast of Egypt.

• 2, from late May 42 to late September of the same year, were by U-boats who had started their patrol from Salamis operating in the Levantine Sea off the coast of Egypt.

• 3, from late June 42 to early December of the same year, were by U-boats who had started their patrol from Pola ending it in La Spezia after operations in the Levantine Sea.

• 1, in mid-late December 42, was by an U-boat staring her patrol from La Spezia and ending it in Pola, after having operated off Morocco (before the refit in Messina) and in the Levantine Sea (after the refit).

Though not stated, most of the visits must have been for refuelling and for making provisions, but at least in one case (U-331) it is stated tha the U-boat underwent repairs, and in another case (U-562) an accident during the loading onboard of torpedoes is recorded, meaning that, at least in limited stocks, German torpedoes might have been available at the Sicilian base :03:

Tonci87 10-29-17 06:20 PM

There might be even more. In a museum I saw a picture of several Uboats docked in Split (Croatia) I can not say if they were just stopping by, or if they were also based and resupplied there. They were smaller types. Might be Type IIs

gap 10-30-17 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2520938)
There might be even more. In a museum I saw a picture of several Uboats docked in Split (Croatia) I can not say if they were just stopping by, or if they were also based and resupplied there. They were smaller types. Might be Type IIs

Type II U-boats operated in the Black Sea. IIRC, after being disassembled, they were transported there by railway. As far as I know, they never crossed the Dardanelles though :hmm2:

hauangua 10-30-17 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2522000)
Type II U-boats operated in the Black Sea. IIRC, after being disassembled, they were transported there by railway. As far as I know, they never crossed the Dardanelles though :hmm2:

Perhaps those in the photo in Spalato were Austro-Hungarian U-boats in WW1
No uboat of WW2

Skvid 10-30-17 08:12 AM

fluff or fact?

On 39 oct 20 i received a message from bdu stating than torpedoes run 6,5 feet (2meters) deeper than set, and that targets with drawings of less than 13ft shouldt be considered valid targets
Idk why they used imperial and not metric bu whatever. This basically rules out targeting destroyers with impact detonators.

anyway is this offset is simulated in this mod or isit just fluff?

kcoun 10-30-17 08:31 AM

Just getting into TWOS and enjoying it immensely. Quick question if I may .. is there any way to get beards on these dudes ? Thanks ..

Cyborg322 10-30-17 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcoun (Post 2522180)
Just getting into TWOS and enjoying it immensely. Quick question if I may .. is there any way to get beards on these dudes ? Thanks ..

Think you get beards with the optional warmer winter cloths. I don't use it not certain

Simon

Tonci87 10-30-17 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauangua (Post 2522112)
No uboat of WW2

Might be possible. That museum visit was a long time ago :D

If one of you guys is ever in Split, donīt miss out on the Maritime Museum in the Grippe fortress. Their collection of torpedoes and other things is astonishing.

http://www.hpms.hr/about-museum.html

gap 10-30-17 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauangua (Post 2522112)
No uboat of WW2

Possibly.

Neither the 23rd nor the 29th (Mediterranean) Unterseebootsflotille had Type II boats assigned.

None of the IIB assighed to the 30th U-Fl. (Black Sea), six in total, ever operated in the Mediterranean.

Moreover, Split is relatively close to Pola. If you take a look at the map of the Mediterranean, all the other U-boat bases (including Messina among them) were well spaced from each other. La Spezia, Toulon and Marseille are an exception to this rule, but the two latter ports started being important to the Germans later in the war, when the southermost ports became unsafe or unavailable due to the advance of the Allies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2522200)
If one of you guys is ever in Split, donīt miss out on the Maritime Museum in the Grippe fortress. Their collection of torpedoes and other things is astonishing.

http://www.hpms.hr/about-museum.html

Roger that captain, thank you for your suggestion :up:

THEBERBSTER 10-30-17 11:24 AM

Hi kc
You are looking at Heretics mod Mighty Fine Crew Mod 1.2.1 where there is an option to add beards to the crew.
Not tested for compatibility with TWOS.
Peter

kevinsue 10-30-17 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcoun (Post 2522180)

Unzip this and put it in your C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\MODS folder and install/remove anytime with JSGME. It shouldn't create any problems with TWoS.

Click here for hairy faced dudes