SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

ThaineFurrows 04-02-17 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2476077)
Hey ThaineFurrows!:salute: It's from a mod called "Sober's Smokescreen" and compared to some historical WWII videos it looks very realistic...:yep:

Oh thanks. In that case I keep quiet and keep on with this awesome mod. I'm still on 1.05; but since I want to keep my savegame, I'll continue with this version until I die.

fire-fox 04-02-17 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2476077)
Hey ThaineFurrows!:salute: It's from a mod called "Sober's Smokescreen" and compared to some historical WWII videos it looks very realistic...:yep:

No Problem, tuck me ages to figure out - I was changing the macro each time it when tout side the stop start times for each.

joshkosen 04-03-17 04:38 AM

Great mod!!

I just started playing this game after my brother bought it 2 years ago, it has been lying in my family's' storeroom for quite a while. I have been playing vanilla for sometime before I installed this mod so I have a few questions to ask.

1) Is the travel mode still working? because every time when I increase the TC it always went back to 1, I know it is due to ships coming near you or a radio message is being received but are there an alternative ways that makes travel mode working as same as the vanilla?

2)what happened to the little dash behind the ship mark on the map which shows the direction of the ships heading? Honestly I rely heavily on this feature but on TWOS mod it only shows a square without a dash behind. I know is about realism but since I am newbie(realism 10% no shame), are there any settings to change it back like in the vanilla does?

3)torpedoes seems to dud more often with this mode even though I check dud torpedoes off in the game settings, any suggestion for this newbie?

4)cannot find the minimap option in the game.

that's all, keep up the good work! was really surprised when you can actually broadcast the Tipperary Song inside the sub. What a great mod.:up:

gezahu 04-03-17 08:45 AM

An other mod question.
I see two separate command for deck crew and flak crew on deck. Is it possible to have the simultaneously as rendered in game, because I do not see the watch crew dissapear after flak is manned as in stock...

Aktungbby 04-03-17 09:34 AM

welcome aboard!

joshkosen!:Kaleun_Salute:

THEBERBSTER 04-03-17 09:41 AM

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > joshkosen
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community:salute:
Please don't discuss in this thread any potential issues caused by your own custom modlists and unsupported mods.
Also, make sure to pay special attention to FAQ and Tips section and feel free to ask in this thread for any additional elucidation.

LCQ_SH 04-03-17 11:45 AM

no resupply tanker? Las Palmas

I've been order to go to almost down to Cape Town as a Winston's special 'mission. Date is May 1941 but if I go all the way south, I won't be able to come back as Las Palmas resupply ship is not still there. What I have read is that that tanker should have been avaiable since March but if I zoom in in the map, she is still not there.

Any ideas?? :ping:

elder_gutknecht 04-03-17 01:44 PM

Minimap, a little button on top of depth bar

joshkosen 04-03-17 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elder_gutknecht (Post 2476585)
Minimap, a little button on top of depth bar

yessss I found it! thx :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

palmic 04-03-17 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshkosen (Post 2476590)
yessss I found it! thx :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

I think "tab" should also toggle minimap..

hauangua 04-04-17 09:27 AM

Hi Kaleuns

I Have a question... some of you uses four bearing method with real navigation? with 100%realism..
If in real navigation I can not be sure of my position ...still remains a useful method? you as you do if you have a contact hydrophone?
alternative?
Thanks

I think it is useful to use it for target approximation...then go often to periscope depth and search target...wrong?

ghickey 04-04-17 05:15 PM

Turning Point Campaign (UFLAK - how to switch to normal sub)

Hello!

I just started a new campaign from scratch with silentotto for Turning Point. You get assisgned a UFLAK boat...which is great, but how would I switch out the UFLAK for the normal sub?

I started the first 2 missions, but did not see any options to switch out the conning tower to the normal conning tower when talking to the upgrades guy. I'm concerned that I will never get the option and will be stuck with the UFLAK for the remaining Turning Point missions. As the missions progress, do I need to wait it out before getting a normal sub or do I need to manually switch out the sub in the data files somewhere?

Thanks very much for making this awesome Sim BTW - it sure is great what you modders do around here.

palmic 04-05-17 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauangua (Post 2476768)
Hi Kaleuns

I Have a question... some of you uses four bearing method with real navigation? with 100%realism..
If in real navigation I can not be sure of my position ...still remains a useful method? you as you do if you have a contact hydrophone?
alternative?
Thanks

I think it is useful to use it for target approximation...then go often to periscope depth and search target...wrong?

Hi,
The point of 4bearing method is your absolute position at map is irelevant.
Only relevant thing is your relevant position to target, its track and eventually its speed if you want to do it hard-way.

Check this if you want to know how to calculate it in hand without using map.

hauangua 04-05-17 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmic (Post 2476924)
Hi,
The point of 4bearing method is your absolute position at map is irelevant.
Only relevant thing is your relevant position to target, its track and eventually its speed if you want to do it hard-way.

Check this if you want to know how to calculate it in hand without using map.

very interesting your way .... I have some questions for you ... but come on your thread... I not understand one step..

palmic 04-05-17 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauangua (Post 2476947)
very interesting your way .... I have some questions for you ... but come on your thread... I not understand one step..

Responded. Sorry to others for this of toppic, but i recongnize real navigation as most of immersivity of TWOS ;)

The point of target motion analysis is not to trying to get exact values with precision of 0.1 degrees in bearing.

The point is to calculate roughly, youll get used to it and youll be very quick to find solutions without any map in one week if youll get into it..

The point here is to find out their course with precision about +-3 degrees.
That way you can easily calculate even your ideal bearing at waiting position to fire torpedo at their ideal AoB90 as their course+90 so when he will have course 20, your bearing at waiting position will be 120 and you cant miss..
Or you can easily detect their speed by binoculars - keep the same course and watch the bearing which you have the target at, try to manage to keep target at the same bearing for about 2-5 minutes - now they have exactly same speed as you - You have complete firing solution from 10km away until they spot you!

-----
When i found this solution i started with absolute precise calculating with calculator.
I calculated even 4.th bearing with spiess line to get its distance and speed..

Then i found the speed is always about 8-10kts, so just find out how to recognize rough distance by differences between bearings at hydrophone in periods.
There's no universal rules for it, you have to start and find your own shortcuts - this is ultimately part of the fun and evidence TWOS is world for its own based on real navy situation (if you dont brake it by lowering your difficulty).
- Build your own unique kaleun approaches!

Then i started to round values to 1 decimal point (1.9) and start to calculate equations at paper.
Then i started to convert sine by rules from head (sine of every 6 degrees means 0.1 - so sine(6)=0.1, sine(12)=0.2, sine(30)=0.5) and so.
Then i started to use this sine and triangle rules even in target approach - When you know their rough course is 8, your from west of them is 10, you know, your tracks connects under angle of 2 degrees.
If you see them at your bearing 140, you know second angle of triangle=140.
If you remember from school, every triangle's inner angles sum is 180.
So his current angle on bow agains you is 180-(140+2)=38 degrees.
Now you can simply calculate how distant he will be if youll wait for him to come to you here if you know his current distance.
It will be his current distance * sin(his angle on bow - 38)=his current distance * sin(38) = his current distance * 0.6.
Thats cool huh, and that was just from head like if i would multiply something by 10...
Thats rule of sine.

Your brain just start to use this shortcuts on its own and one day, you find out, you can build solution just like that in head like kaleuns in movies or documentaries.

Now dont think i am some super-kapitan which kills everything around just by snap his fingers, i constantly make mistakes and miss my eels, but most often when i find ideal position from about 1km in 90AoB of my target i hit...
And my eels dont explode many times even in those situations :)
I am just hungry for submarines theories to enhance my immersion while i play sims..

Sorry Vecko, i just love it! :)