SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Tell us what you are upto in your current campaign (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151090)

Kapitän 02-09-21 06:17 AM

U 112 Type IXB 1941/2021 - 4th War Patrol - B.d.U. Assessment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2728663)
Started a new career in August 2019, to commemorate the beginning of WWII, 80 years ago ...

++++

KTB - U 112

Saturday, 8 February 1941 - Lorient

Awards & Promotions:

Upon arrival in Lorient, I was awarded with the Oak Leaves to the Knights Cross!

The XO, Ob.Ltnt.z.S Emmo MARBACH, was awarded with the Knight Cross. A well deserved award!

4 Firemen 1cl., were promoted to Machinist’s Mate 2cl.

2 Coxwain's, were promoted to Boatswain's mates 2cl.

Both Radiomen 3cl., were promoted to Radioman 2cl.

The Torpedoman’s Mate 3cl., was promoted to Torpedoman’s Mate 2cl.

A Fireman 2cl., was promoted to Fireman 1cl.

A Seaman 2cl., was promoted to Seaman 1cl.

Both Warrant Maschinist-D, the Machinist’s Mate 2cl.-CR, the No.1 Seaman, a Seaman 2cl. and a Seaman 1cl., were awarded with the E.K.I.

A Coxwain, a Coxwain (AA) and a Seaman 2cl.(Cook), were awarded with the E.K.II.

13 crew members were awarded with the U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen in Bronze.

The crew is given leave of 3 weeks in two shifts.

Fourth war patrol with U 112 and twelfth war patrol overall completed.

RST
Kptlt.&Cmdr.

Started a new career in August 2019, to commemorate the beginning of WWII, 80 years ago ...

++++

KTB - U 112

Sunday, 9 February 1941 - Lorient

B.d.U. Assessment:

Another stellar war patrol by this seasoned commander and boat. The sinking of now the third aircraft carrier and a heavy cruiser, will inflict no doubt a heavy setback in the war efforts of the enemy and is of great strategic importance. His award with the Oak Leaves to the Knights Cross, was a mere consequence of his distinguished valour in battle. The vast experience of the commander will now best be utilized to bring up the new generation of Uboat commanders, as the command of the distinguished boat will be relinquished into the very capable hands of its XO, who himself was awarded with the Knights Cross after this war patrol.

Karl Dönitz
Vizeadmiral & B.d.U.

gord96 02-09-21 02:20 PM

February 1940. Going into my 7th or 8th patrol in U-21 (Type IIa). Have been very lucky. Sunk at least 1 ship on every patrol and 4th overall in tonnage. Have the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves after last patrol. Look forward to getting a bigger boat soon! :salute:

Kapitän 02-10-21 08:53 AM

Received new orders

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2728745)

++++

KTB - U 112

Sunday, 9 February 1941 - Lorient

B.d.U. Assessment:

Another stellar war patrol by this seasoned commander and boat. The sinking of now the third aircraft carrier and a heavy cruiser, will inflict no doubt a heavy setback in the war efforts of the enemy and is of great strategic importance. His award with the Oak Leaves to the Knights Cross, was a mere consequence of his distinguished valour in battle. The vast experience of the commander will now best be utilized to bring up the new generation of Uboat commanders, as the command of the distinguished boat will be relinquished into the very capable hands of its XO, who himself was awarded with the Knights Cross after this war patrol.

Karl Dönitz
Vizeadmiral & B.d.U.

Monday, 10 February until Sunday, 16 February 1941 - Lorient/Paris/Kiel

Preparing for transfer to 24th Flotilla (Training Flotilla) - Memel (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner).

Kapitän 02-18-21 09:13 AM

Preparing for new command

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2729010)
Monday, 10 February until Sunday, 16 February 1941 - Lorient/Paris/Kiel

Preparing for transfer to 24th Flotilla (Training Flotilla) - Memel (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner).

+++++

Monday, 17 February 1941 - Kiel

Currently, no Uboat Training possible due to heavy ice in the Baltic Sea. Remain on standby until further notice.

+++++

WolfyBrandon 02-28-21 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyBrandon (Post 2710503)
Patrol 02

U-957 Update

Well... I recently experienced some "technical difficulties", as the laptop I was using to play Silent Hunter III started having some hardware issues...

So... I purchased and upgrade! MSI GE66 Raider, with an I7-10750H, 32GB of Memory, and a Geforce RTX 3070. Just transferred the backup of my Modded install of Silent Hunter III, as well as my Career files, and all seems to be working. Oh and sadly... No, the new hardware doesn't help SH3's load times... with all my installed mods the game still takes ~12m to load - and that's at the "best of times" aka Max Performance mode. It's smooth as silk when in-game though... :03:

WolfyBrandon

Kapitän 03-03-21 05:16 AM

Transfer to Training Flotilla

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2730954)
+++++

Monday, 17 February 1941 - Kiel

Currently, no Uboat Training possible due to heavy ice in the Baltic Sea. Remain on standby until further notice.

+++++

+++++

Monday, 3 March 1941 - Kiel

Transfer to 24th Flotilla (Training Flotilla) - Memel (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

Uboat Training was not possible during the month of February, due to heavy ice in the Baltic Sea. Boats couldn't be transferred to Kiel until 1 March 1941.

+++++

Kapitän 03-09-21 05:42 AM

U 47 (Prien) is missing ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2733710)

+++++

Monday, 3 March 1941 - Kiel

Transfer to 24th Flotilla (Training Flotilla) - Memel (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

Uboat Training was not possible during the month of February, due to heavy ice in the Baltic Sea. Boats couldn't be transferred to Kiel until 1 March 1941.

+++++

+++++

Sunday, 9 March 1941 - Memel

24th Flotilla (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

U 47 (Prien) is missing! Prien sent his last radio message at 0454hrs on 7 March 1941 while chasing the convoy OB-293 and has been reported missing after it repeatedly failed to report its position. There is presently no explanation for its loss.

"Can this be?! The "Bull of Scapa Flow", has been lost?!"

+++++

Kapitän 03-10-21 04:00 AM

Plans for Uboat Bunkers are implemented ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2735056)

+++++

Sunday, 9 March 1941 - Memel

U 47 (Prien) is missing! Prien sent his last radio message at 0454hrs on 7 March 1941 while chasing the convoy OB-293 and has been reported missing after it repeatedly failed to report its position. There is presently no explanation for its loss.

"Can this be?! The "Bull of Scapa Flow", has been lost?!"

+++++

+++++

Monday, 10 March 1941 - Memel

Reichsminister Todt is in Lorient today:

B.d.U. is requesting Uboat Bunkers up to the maximal possible number of,

- 30 Uboats in Lorient,
- 20 Uboats each in Brest and St.Nazaire,
- also, for La Pallice, which would contribute repair stations for additonal 9-10 Uboats and
- also, Uboat Bunkers in Bergen and Drontheim.

+++++

Kapitän 03-11-21 09:15 AM

The "Lend-Lease"-Act is signed ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2735255)

+++++

Monday, 10 March 1941 - Memel

Reichsminister Todt is in Lorient today:

B.d.U. is requesting Uboat Bunkers up to the maximal possible number of,

- 30 Uboats in Lorient,
- 20 Uboats each in Brest and St.Nazaire,
- also, for La Pallice, which would contribute repair stations for additonal 9-10 Uboats and
- also, Uboat Bunkers in Bergen and Drontheim.

+++++

+++++

Tuesday, 11 March 1941 - Memel

In September 1940, US President Roosevelt negotiated the famous "Destroyer-for-bases"-Agreement, under which 50 obsolete "four-pipers" US WWI destroyers were exchanged for a 99-year lease of several British bases in the Western Hemisphere. The rational behind this was, that these bases might one day become critical to US defences.

Following this, the Lend-Lease Act is born:

The Lend-Lease Act was approved today by the US Congress. This act will give President Roosevelt almost unlimited freedom in directing supplies, tanks, aircraft and ammunition to the war effort in Europe, effectively ending US neutrality. One of the aspects of the Lend Lease Act are SAM ships, Liberty Ships, that will be lent to Britain.

(By the time the war will have ended, the Lend-Lease program will have extended to over $41 billion in aid to more than 40 nations - some sources will say, the aid was as high as $50 billion - Britain will have received the biggest share or roughly $30 billion and the Soviets about $11 billion. China will have gotten $1 billion. Less than $10 billion of that aid will never be repaid, making this appear more like a donation, than the support it really was supposed to be).

"This will no doubt, make our own Uboat operations much more complex!"

+++++

Kapitän 03-19-21 05:13 AM

Three Uboat Aces lost in one month !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2735465)

+++++

Tuesday, 11 March 1941 - Memel - 24th Flotilla (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

In September 1940, US President Roosevelt negotiated the famous "Destroyer-for-bases"-Agreement, under which 50 obsolete "four-pipers" US WWI destroyers were exchanged for a 99-year lease of several British bases in the Western Hemisphere. The rational behind this was, that these bases might one day become critical to US defences.

Following this, the Lend-Lease Act is born:

The Lend-Lease Act was approved today by the US Congress. This act will give President Roosevelt almost unlimited freedom in directing supplies, tanks, aircraft and ammunition to the war effort in Europe, effectively ending US neutrality. One of the aspects of the Lend Lease Act are SAM ships, Liberty Ships, that will be lent to Britain.

(By the time the war will have ended, the Lend-Lease program will have extended to over $41 billion in aid to more than 40 nations - some sources will say, the aid was as high as $50 billion - Britain will have received the biggest share or roughly $30 billion and the Soviets about $11 billion. China will have gotten $1 billion. Less than $10 billion of that aid will never be repaid, making this appear more like a donation, than the support it really was supposed to be).

"This will no doubt, make our own Uboat operations much more complex!"

+++++

+++++

Wednesday, 19 March 1941 - Memel - 24th Flotilla (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

U 99 (Kretschmer) and U 100 (Schepke) haven't answered to B.d.U.'s position requests, since 17 March.

Today, U 37 (Clausen) sent a report, that it received an open radio message from U 99 on 17 March, 0343h, that the boat has been badly damaged and has to be scuttled (3 dead and 40 survivors).

Apparently, U 100 has been sunk during the same night after being rammed by British destroyers (38 dead and 6 survivors).

"Kretschmer has been taken as prisoner of war, Schepke has been killed and Prien is missing ... Everyone is in a state of shock ..."

Kapitän 03-21-21 08:09 AM

Decision time ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2737338)

+++++

Wednesday, 19 March 1941 - Memel - 24th Flotilla (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

U 99 (Kretschmer) and U 100 (Schepke) haven't answered to B.d.U.'s position requests, since 17 March.

Today, U 37 (Clausen) sent a report, that it received an open radio message from U 99 on 17 March, 0343h, that the boat has been badly damaged and has to be scuttled (3 dead and 40 survivors).

Apparently, U 100 has been sunk during the same night after being rammed by British destroyers (38 dead and 6 survivors).

"Kretschmer has been taken as prisoner of war, Schepke has been killed and Prien is missing ... Everyone is in a state of shock ..."

+++++

Friday, 21 March 1941 - Memel - 24th Flotilla (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

Following the loss of 3 Uboat aces during this month, B.d.U. has given me the option to return to active duty. I should think about it over the weekend and report back to him on Monday.

Kapitän 03-24-21 01:35 PM

The Fatherland needs me ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2737787)

+++++

Friday, 21 March 1941 - Memel - 24th Flotilla (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

Following the loss of 3 Uboat aces during this month, B.d.U. has given me the option to return to active duty. I should think about it over the weekend and report back to him on Monday.

+++++

Monday, 24 March 1941 - Memel - 24th Flotilla (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

I inform B.d.U., that it would be my esteemed honor and privilege, to fulfill my duty under his command once again.

B.d.U. tells me, that I will take command of a brand new IXC type boat and crew. This boat is a further development of the type IXB boat, with storage for additional 43 tons of fuel, which gives it an increased range of up to 13450 nautical miles at 10 knots.

Kapitän 03-31-21 03:05 AM

Final Construction of the new boat ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2738443)

+++++

Monday, 24 March 1941 - Memel - 24th Flotilla (Korvkpt. Hannes Weingärtner)

I inform B.d.U., that it would be my esteemed honor and privilege, to fulfill my duty under his command once again.

B.d.U. tells me, that I will take command of a brand new IXC type boat and crew. This boat is a further development of the type IXB boat, with storage for additional 43 tons of fuel, which gives it an increased range of up to 13450 nautical miles at 10 knots.

+++++

Monday, 31 March 1941 - Bremen - AG Weser, Deutsche Schiff und Maschinenbau

Arrived at the shipyard for the final stages of construction of U 113 (IXC).

Technical information of the type IXC boat:
(sm = submerged, sf = surfaced, ph = pressure hull, oa = overall, hp = horsepower).
Displacement (tons): 1120 (sf); 1232 (sm); 1540 (total)
Length: 76,76m oa; 58,75m ph
Beam: 6,76m oa; 4,40m ph
Draught (draft): 4,70m
Height: 9,40m
Power (hp): 4400 (sf); 1000 (sm)
Speed (knots): 18,3 (sf); 7,3 (sm)
Range (miles/knots): 13450/10 (sf); 63/4 (sm)
Fuel: 208t
Torpedoes: 22 (4 bow and 2 stern tubes)
Mines: 44 TMA or 66 TMB
Deck gun: 1 x 10,5cm-SK-C/32 (150 x SpG + 30 x LkG rounds)
Flak gun: 2 x M.G.-2cm-C/30: 8000 x PbG (1 x M.G.-2cm-C/30 instead of 1 x 3.7cm-SK-C/30)
Crew: 48-56 men
Max diving depth: 165m (Crush depth: ca. 250m)
Boat is fitted with KDB listening gear.

Kapitän 04-06-21 02:47 AM

Standing by during the final stages of construction of U 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2739539)

+++++

Monday, 31 March 1941 - Bremen - AG Weser, Deutsche Schiff und Maschinenbau

Arrived at the shipyard for the final stages of construction of U 113 (IXC).

Technical information of the type IXC boat:
(sm = submerged, sf = surfaced, ph = pressure hull, oa = overall, hp = horsepower).
Displacement (tons): 1120 (sf); 1232 (sm); 1540 (total)
Length: 76,76m oa; 58,75m ph
Beam: 6,76m oa; 4,40m ph
Draught (draft): 4,70m
Height: 9,40m
Power (hp): 4400 (sf); 1000 (sm)
Speed (knots): 18,3 (sf); 7,3 (sm)
Range (miles/knots): 13450/10 (sf); 63/4 (sm)
Fuel: 208t
Torpedoes: 22 (4 bow and 2 stern tubes)
Mines: 44 TMA or 66 TMB
Deck gun: 1 x 10,5cm-SK-C/32 (150 x SpG + 30 x LkG rounds)
Flak gun: 2 x M.G.-2cm-C/30: 8000 x PbG (1 x M.G.-2cm-C/30 instead of 1 x 3.7cm-SK-C/30)
Crew: 48-56 men
Max diving depth: 165m (Crush depth: ca. 250m)
Boat is fitted with KDB listening gear.

+++++

Sunday, 6 April 1941 - Bremen - AG Weser, Deutsche Schiff und Maschinenbau

Beginning of the (second) Balkans Campaign:

The Balkans Campaign actually began with the Italian invasion of Greece on 28 October 1940. In the early months of 1941, Italy's offensive had stalled and a Greek counter-offensive pushed into Albania. Germany sought to aid Italy by deploying troops to Romania and Bulgaria and attacking Greece from the east. Meanwhile, the British landed troops and aircraft to shore up Greek defenses.

Hitler had already begun planning to invade Greece in November 1940, after the British occupied Crete and Lemnos. He ordered the German Invasion of Greece—code-named Unternehmen Marita ("Operation Marita") by Germany, on 13 December 1940 for execution in March 1941. The stated aim of the operation was to prevent the British from getting air bases within striking range of the Romanian oilfields.

A coup d'état in Yugoslavia on 27 March caused Adolf Hitler to also order the conquest of that country. The invasion of Yugoslavia ("Operation 25") by Germany and Italy began on 6 April, simultaneously with the new Battle of Greece("Operation Marita").

Kaptlt.Endrass 04-06-21 07:43 PM

Back in the command room!

Taking out U-110 for her first patrol in 1941 from Wilhemshaven. Loving seeing the harbor in all her glory.

Some CTD and total crash issues, though I think it's more related to the fact that this computer hasn't been used in a few months with the purchase of my new one. Whatever happens, can't wait to see what these seas have open for me.

Kapitän 04-10-21 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaptlt.Endrass (Post 2741024)
Back in the command room!

Taking out U-110 for her first patrol in 1941 from Wilhemshaven. Loving seeing the harbor in all her glory.

Some CTD and total crash issues, though I think it's more related to the fact that this computer hasn't been used in a few months with the purchase of my new one. Whatever happens, can't wait to see what these seas have open for me.

I hope, you're getting your CTD's fixed ...

Good luck and Happy Hunting!!!

Kapitän 04-10-21 02:37 AM

Final stages of construction of U 113 (IXC)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2740850)

+++++

Sunday, 6 April 1941 - Bremen - AG Weser, Deutsche Schiff und Maschinenbau

Beginning of the (second) Balkans Campaign:

The Balkans Campaign actually began with the Italian invasion of Greece on 28 October 1940. In the early months of 1941, Italy's offensive had stalled and a Greek counter-offensive pushed into Albania. Germany sought to aid Italy by deploying troops to Romania and Bulgaria and attacking Greece from the east. Meanwhile, the British landed troops and aircraft to shore up Greek defenses.

Hitler had already begun planning to invade Greece in November 1940, after the British occupied Crete and Lemnos. He ordered the German Invasion of Greece—code-named Unternehmen Marita ("Operation Marita") by Germany, on 13 December 1940 for execution in March 1941. The stated aim of the operation was to prevent the British from getting air bases within striking range of the Romanian oilfields.

A coup d'état in Yugoslavia on 27 March caused Adolf Hitler to also order the conquest of that country. The invasion of Yugoslavia ("Operation 25") by Germany and Italy began on 6 April, simultaneously with the new Battle of Greece("Operation Marita").

+++++

Thursday, 10 April 1941 - Bremen - AG Weser, Deutsche Schiff und Maschinenbau

Standing by during the final stages of construction of U 113 (IXC).

US-Destroyer USS Niblack (DD 424) attacks German Uboat with 3 Wabos (possibly U 52, Salman, but not confirmed).

Kapitän 04-11-21 08:59 AM

Final stages of construction of U 113 (IXC)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2741497)

+++++

Thursday, 10 April 1941 - Bremen - AG Weser, Deutsche Schiff und Maschinenbau

US-Destroyer USS Niblack (DD 424) attacks German Uboat with 3 Wabos (possibly U 52, Salman, but not confirmed).

+++++

Friday, 11 April 1941 - Bremen - AG Weser, Deutsche Schiff und Maschinenbau

Balkans Campaign: Hungary joins the German and Italian invasion.

Randomizer 04-11-21 02:40 PM

A CCoM campaign.

In October 1942 Type VIIC U-471 under KL Otto Hahn sailed from Danzig for her final training patrol. The boat returned to base having sunk nothing but providing quality spectating as the Luftwaffe wiped out Soviet ASW groups on two separate occasions. U-471 was then transferred to the 7th Flotilla in Saint Nazaire using the super secret BdU Magical Teleportation Device (MTg - Magisches Teleportationsgerät)

Departing on her first Atlantic patrol on 11 December, Hahn spent eight days in CF54 having sunk an 5000 ton freighter along the way, using four torpedoes to make the kill. Sadly, the ship was a Spaniard so Hahn received a scolding from BdU. After sighting nothing in CF54, U-471 spent another week in CG79 frequently under air threats and sighting no ships or convoys. On the way there however Hahn expended four torpedoes to sink a lone British merchant for 3000 GRT. Bad weather plagued the patrol so far with winds never less than 11 M/S and usually 15 M/S.

On New Year's Eve U-471 refuelled to 52% in the Canary Islands and picked up three air torpedoes. BdU ordered the boat to DH42, arriving on 12 January 1943 but after days on patrol, nothing was spotted. Hahn signalled a status report to BdU and then set course for base on 22 January. Shortly before midnight on the 24th, a METOX detection caused a crash dive and the hydrophone revealed a large, home-bound convoy. Hahn let the convoy pass, surfacing about 0200 to give chase.

Unfortunately, fog had set in and METOX failed to detect an escort that suddenly loomed out of the fog about two-hours before dawn. U-471 crash dived but was wrecked in the first depth charge attack. It proved impossible to stem the flooding and get the boat to the surface and she was lost with all hands.

2-ships for 8861 GRT
51-all ranks killed.

-C

Kapitän 04-13-21 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomizer (Post 2741797)
A CCoM campaign.

=> Yep, I use this too ... :up:

Quote:

the super secret BdU Magical Teleportation Device (MTg - Magisches Teleportationsgerät)

=> I love it :D

Quote:

Unfortunately, fog had set in and METOX failed to detect an escort that suddenly loomed out of the fog about two-hours before dawn. U-471 crash dived but was wrecked in the first depth charge attack. It proved impossible to stem the flooding and get the boat to the surface and she was lost with all hands.

2-ships for 8861 GRT
51-all ranks killed.

=> Yep, as of Jan.1942, one has to watch out for ASW vessels during the night and in bad visibility conditions, especially, close to shore :o