SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

the_tr00per 01-02-16 07:37 PM

aspect ratio

I'm in need of some help:

I decided to give SH5 another chance, after having it lying around for several years. An as Wolves of Steel seemed a walk in the park to install, I gave it a try.

I followed the instructions provided and installed the following "MODS":

The Wolves of Steel 1.04
The Wolves of Steel 1.04 - Patch 14
The Wolves of Steel 1.04 - Real Navigation_by TheDarkWraith
The Wolves of Steel - 16x9 Resolution Patch

Then I decided to test if everything is working just fine and fired up the RAOBF Tutorial Mission, just to find out the aspect ratio thingy doesn't work out.
Instead of getting a length of 35, I get 40. So I decided to deactivate the aspect ratio fix to check if it makes a difference. I did not! I get the same results in length measuring with and without the aspect ratio fix enabled.

Is this a known bug, or did I make a mistake?
My Screen resolution is: 2560x1440

Thx for your assistance.....

Hecki Stafman 01-02-16 07:40 PM

Ohje... And everthing just becouse the mission bar wont fill up.. :wah:
I think it will be better to uninstall Silent Hunter 5 and play solitaire. :-?

vdr1981 01-02-16 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmic (Post 2370484)
[*]What if i am in the middle of patrolling mission (48h patrol of 80km around some square) and i decide to chase some damaged merchant out of circle? Will the spent time be reset?[/LIST]:

In that case your patrol timer will be blocked without possibility to continue.
Anyway, just as in real life, you shouldn't take your patrol area orders too seriously, those are just simple and cool additions to the gampley which will give you couple of promotional points and nothing more. You certainly dont want to miss some valuable targets just because they are outside of your patrol area...:yep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_tr00per (Post 2370512)
Then I decided to test if everything is working just fine and fired up the RAOBF Tutorial Mission, just to find out the aspect ratio thingy doesn't work out.
Instead of getting a length of 35, I get 40. So I decided to deactivate the aspect ratio fix to check if it makes a difference. I did not! I get the same results in length measuring with and without the aspect ratio fix enabled.
My Screen resolution is: 2560x1440

I'm not following you there. What exact RAOBF readings aren't right for you?
I'm also not sure is 16/9 AR patch compatible with your screen resolution...:hmmm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecki Stafman (Post 2370513)
Ohje... And everthing just becouse the mission bar wont fill up.. :wah:
I think it will be better to uninstall Silent Hunter 5 and play solitaire. :-?

Yep...People have to learn few things here and there in order to play this mod. Should I remind you that this is common for all sim games?:hmm2:
Alternatively, you can google "World of Warships"...I'm pretty much sure that you can strike a decent punch there even without any training or learning...:)

Hecki Stafman 01-02-16 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2370518)
Yep...People has to learn few things here and there in order to play this mod. Should I remind you that this is common for all sim games?:hmm2:
Alternatively, you can google "World of Warships"...I'm pretty much sure that you can strike a decent punch there even without any training or learning...:)

I'm optimistic. The day will come that I understand how to navigate my boat and fire torpedos to battleships =)
Spent more time on youtube instead of playing the modded or vanilla sh5.

Hecki Stafman 01-03-16 02:53 AM

Ok, well...
I play the "Four Bearings"-Tutorial.
There is a "play"-button, an "pause"-button and a "stop"-button.
Is there another option to go back to the last step without using "stop"-button and play the whole tutorial from the beginning?
Some times, when I stop and start again the game crashes :/

the_tr00per 01-03-16 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2370518)
I'm not following you there. What exact RAOBF readings aren't right for you?
I'm also not sure is 16/9 AR patch compatible with your screen resolution...:hmmm:

First of all: thank you for taking your time...

As far as i understood, the aspect ratio patch has a influence on the Zoom factor of the periscope, and therefore the ships in my periscope appear bigger than they should. This makes using the RAOBF inaccurate. If i try to measure the first freighter in the Tutorial I always get bigger readouts than the tutorial.

Ex: Hog Island Freighter on Bearing 221
The Hog Island Freighter has a Mast height of 28.4m and is 1080m away, therefore the RAOBF Height readout should be 10.6 ?"Mills"? (counting the Lines on the RAOBF) but i get a readout of 12.4 instead...

So its just that the target in my periscope fills out more of my periscope space than it should....

And I'm pretty sure that the 16:9 is correct for my resolution of 2560x1440, as 2560/1440 = 1.777777777 → 16/9 = 1.777777777

So this should just work fine.

Just for the sake of testing I applied the 4:3 patch and tried a 4:3 resolution. Everything worked just fine, all the readouts were correct.
So i decided to test if I could see a difference between the stock (16:10) and the patch (16:9) settings. But I couldn't...

UPDATE:

I just found a old post reporting the same problem.... (Post to be found on page 42 of this thread)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberbond (Post 2213240)
I have the same problem. I have the same resolution too.
I have tried to use the RAOBF but it is a total mess and it doesn´t work.

As you can see in this picture:
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/...psaa9040f0.jpg

The ship was at 2050m but with RAOFB the measured was 1500. I followed the tutorials and i did everything ok.

flaminus 01-03-16 03:47 AM

Wonderful Mod! we don't need to find all the small mods and do lots of tweaks to make them work together. Thanks a lot:salute:

One more question: the default UI style is the "SH3Style", I find that, in this UI, it's impossible to set course by using mouse wheel. So can I change it to "SH5Enhanced" by edit the "TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py"?

will it causes any problem?

palmic 01-03-16 06:53 AM

Right now i had to move to another position in the order of my patrol, so i did. It was worst weather imaginable when i got to the position, only 34m deep waters under me, so what? I just fell into periscope depth to start listening the teatre around :)

Try to circle around with my mic manually and found something like convoy right in the front of Grimsby port..
I let my mic targeting it and start to prepare angles into my map to get their bearing and so... And then i hear something like sonar! Wait, wait a minute, its not sonar, that is sound of damaged sheets of some boat!! And than i hear aggressive destroyer propellers... "chug, chug, chug, chug, chug, chug, chug..." stop... and again... I think i am not only wolf around :rock:

I love this game! :up:

palmic 01-03-16 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmic (Post 2370468)
For even more immersive sailing check my authentic deutsche gramophone records :salute:

Sorry i fixed the link now its public for download :salute:

vdr1981 01-03-16 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_tr00per (Post 2370548)
As far as i understood, the aspect ratio patch has a influence on the Zoom factor of the periscope, and therefore the ships in my periscope appear bigger than they should. This makes using the RAOBF inaccurate. If i try to measure the first freighter in the Tutorial I always get bigger readouts than the tutorial.

RAOBF works fine for me...What is your megamod version? Any additional mods?
See how ROABF markings are matched with black periscope markings?

http://s6.postimg.org/5dza33d9p/SH5_...3_15_41_51.jpg

vdr1981 01-03-16 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaminus (Post 2370549)
Wonderful Mod! we don't need to find all the small mods and do lots of tweaks to make them work together. Thanks a lot:salute:

One more question: the default UI style is the "SH3Style", I find that, in this UI, it's impossible to set course by using mouse wheel. So can I change it to "SH5Enhanced" by edit the "TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py"?

will it causes any problem?

No problems...Although , general impression is that SH3 UI style is a bit more stable than SH5 UI, or maybe it's just me imagining things , not sure...:hmm2:

palmic 01-03-16 02:31 PM

hmmm... because of random offset of real navigation navigator position i started to plot my position manually (a hardcore style :woot:), but it seems mein u-bote changed my course i think.
(i did some real life work while i was sailing in realtime for several hours :) )

So i had plotted course where i wanted to and i had written a line in map, but i discovered my course is now very different and i am sure i plotted that line in map by course which i ordered before lets say 2 hours :)
(and its worst weather it could be)

Have you seen something like this before? :hmmm:

flaminus 01-03-16 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2370645)
No problems...Although , general impression is that SH3 UI style is a bit more stable than SH5 UI, or maybe it's just me imagining things , not sure...:hmm2:

Thanks for your reply, and i'm happy to hear that. Actually, I like the SH3Style better for it's more realistic, i think. The SH5Enhanced is a bit of morden digital things.:)

All I want is to set course or heading by scrolling the mouse wheel so that i can get an accurate number by 1 degree. Do you know how to realize it in SH3Style UI, Vdr1981?
:hmm2:

palmic 01-04-16 01:28 AM

+1 for this!

And hover info about current value. Its strange for kaleun to have problems to set course and other input by order on first try ;)

palmic 01-04-16 02:29 AM

Dont you have someone problems with crash dive?
I tried that few times when i spot aircraft, but in about 50% it does not work. Every sound tracks are played (alarm and so), but u-boat remains exposed.