SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   16 km universe in GWX? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=179623)

danexpat 01-27-11 11:13 PM

16 km universe in GWX?

I'm running on an "old" Dell Optiplex GX520 P4 2.89 GHz .99 GB RAM, Windows XP, w/ graphics card that has binocu-less watch :rock:.

Thoughts on whether I should bother to try to run the 16 km GWX universe?

Gargamel 01-28-11 12:32 AM

Try it and find out.

Damo 01-28-11 01:14 AM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Pisces 01-28-11 07:50 AM

I've played it acceptably with a little bit less system specs. As said, try it, only you know what is an acceptable framerate. Being in a harbor might be slow, but GWX also comes with mod-part with reduced harbor scenery density.

danexpat 01-28-11 10:18 AM

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 1584787)
I've played it acceptably with a little bit less system specs. As said, try it, only you know what is an acceptable framerate. Being in a harbor might be slow, but GWX also comes with mod-part with reduced harbor scenery density.

Frame rate already goes down to 4 FPS in port at TC 512 but then recovers in a few minutes when underway. I'm running 16 km universe on my current patrol with no issues so far. Single ship encounters run as smoothly as with 8 km. I think the test will be mixing it up in a convoy, but so far so good.

Jimbuna 01-28-11 11:32 AM

You should be okay but your correct.....being in an area with many other rendered objects will be the true test.

reignofdeath 01-28-11 03:14 PM

Mine does fine in port and such but when ships explode it drops fps a little, when a takner explodes and sinks however and theres alot of smoke, I get a big drop when looking at the ship. But other than that (even in convoys) its fine. Although mine doesnt have reflections off of the water :(

danexpat 01-28-11 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith (Post 1585114)
Mine does fine in port and such but when ships explode it drops fps a little, when a takner explodes and sinks however and theres alot of smoke, I get a big drop when looking at the ship. But other than that (even in convoys) its fine. Although mine doesnt have reflections off of the water :(

Yes, that's a shame because the reflections are rendered exquisitely. I have the same loss of frame rate for direct views of kills inside of ~ 1000 m, which is too bad because that's most of them.

I joked with my teenager recently that Dad picks up out-of-date games at a discount because he's at an age where a 6-year lag in software tech doesn't register as being behind-the-times. :) I gather from comments that the water rendering in SH4/SH5 is amazing, but SH3 is more than good enough for this old fart.

reignofdeath 01-28-11 04:04 PM

Oh Id love to get a better computer if just so I could run SH3 smoothly with all other wave mods and such. And have reflections and beautiful framerates :D But on top of that , I want SH5 to play smoother than ever too. Then Ill be happy, honestly though, SH4, im not so sure about, at least stock, the water doesnt look all that good to me. :shifty:

danexpat 02-03-11 01:49 PM

Update

By way of update, it works pretty well with 16k universe, but does grind down to very low FPS in periscope and free cam views of convoys. Oddly enough, the Uzo view is fine. But with my older machine, the frame rate wasn't that great to begin with, so I can tolerate the extra loss. Thanks for the feedback.

Jimbuna 02-04-11 08:43 AM

SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...ies/pirate.gif

danexpat 02-04-11 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1590398)

I'm tryin', I'm tryin'! :yep:

Dear BdU: Please send torpedoes.

STEED 02-04-11 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danexpat (Post 1590445)

From BdU: We are not in the habit sending ells out free of charge to the Allies, clearly your the enemy as you use the word torpedo which we do not recognize. There for we would be more than willing to sink you free of charge. :D

danexpat 02-04-11 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED (Post 1590735)
From BdU: We are not in the habit sending ells out free of charge to the Allies, clearly your the enemy as you use the word torpedo which we do not recognize. There for we would be more than willing to sink you free of charge. :D

Dear BdU:

Contrary to assertions in last message my loyalties should be assured precisely because I must beg for scheisse German torpedoes. Doubt you would know an eel from a herring you stupid desk monkey.

frau kaleun 02-04-11 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danexpat (Post 1590445)
I'm tryin', I'm tryin'! :yep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED (Post 1590735)

Quote:

Originally Posted by danexpat (Post 1590827)
Dear BdU:

Contrary to assertions in last message my loyalties should be assured precisely because I must beg for scheisse German torpedoes. Doubt you would know an eel from a herring you stupid desk monkey.

:hmmm:

I don't know whether to make the popcorn now, or wait until he tries to requisition some toilet paper.